Saturday, August 11, 2018

Revved up

Our theme for this year at school is 'Bringing your A game.'  I wonder how often I drag in my D game then wonder why things don't go well.  Or I start with the attitude, "I'm going to fail anyway, may as well get it over with."  Please, understand.....I am a great believer in failing....means I tried something new.  I also believe in determination, perseverance, stick to itness, and whatever else you call that element that knocked down 7 times get up 8.  I got straight A's on more than one occasion.  It is not about being the smartest or the fastest or the prettiest it means hard work and not resting when others are kicked back or out at a party.  Doing well doesn't come naturally for me.  In junior high I was a B/C student with a few A's and more than one D.  The whole spelling thing is a bit of a miss for me.  I was called stupid and a variety of other names that all meant the same thing.  In high school I had a new school and I decided to "Bring my A game."  I did it with a bunch of hard work and many struggles.  I struggled over and over to get those sought after A's.  But the person I was trying to impress just didn't care.  I watched class mates get teased for getting good grades, I kept my grades a secret.  I had someone cheat using my paper and I was blamed for it.  Somewhere in the middle of this hormone fear driven era I learned bringing your A game doesn't mean knowing everything before you start.  It doesn't mean you don't make mistakes, fail, screw up or give up.  It means every single day you get up.  My body hurts, SO.  I feel afraid, SO.  I'm tired, SO.  Bringing your A game doesn't mean things are easy and natural and doors opening before you get to them.  (Sorry even in Star Trek there was someone behind the scenes opening doors for actors.)  It means hard work, struggle, correction, guidance, determination, grit, and so much more.

When it comes to counseling and healing, you need to bring your A game.  Too many poke at counseling with a stick without actually engaging in the process then moan that counseling failed.  Too many want the doors to magically open for them and everything is all smiles and brightness.  Too many times, I'm the one expecting my healing to be the floor cleaner that is Once and Done.  Fortunately, my first counselor burst my bubble and told me to get to work and bring my A game.  I knew how to do this.  I still remember the scorched Earth conversation that boiled down to step up and engage in counseling or GET OUT.  Some people would call it tough love, I called it a great blessing and the kindest thing he could have done for me.  I brought my A game.  I knew how.  I practiced it over and over in school, I didn't understand I could bring it to life.  I don't have a teacher grading me any more but I have my own desire to improve fueling my determination to bring my A game to my everyday living.  I'm excited.  I'm revved up.  BRING IT OWN.....I got my A game in place.  Working hard and determination, two things that are often underrated in the healing process.  Cheering for anyone that is choosing to take on life and choose to heal.  Cheering for you if your just poking a stick at it too.  I'm hoping you will get opportunities to learn about bringing your A game.

No comments: