Sunday, October 7, 2012

Bully on a Rampage

Where is the indignation? Where is the outcry? Where is the 'it is not ok to punch someone just because you had a bad day?'  Why is it not ok for parents to treat a person like an emotional punching bag but ok if it is a fellow reader. 

Yes I thought, "If there are any with out sin, let him cast the first stone."  But where is the fairness in throwing stones at parents but suddenly accepting bully behavior is now required because they took the wrong amount of medicine and a reader?  One of the first things my counselor taught me when I found out I was a multiple that I was responsible no matter which I did it. What am I talking about?  Over at upsi's page someone took an all mighty swipe at her telling her that she was just a spoiled brat and invalidating her pain and everyone seemed to have a hay day of casting stones at her narcissistic parent.  Even the writer of the anonymous comment added her support.  Then as things are heating up, the writer of the comment confessed she did it but blamed it on her medication.  People came to the bully's defense saying she had a bad week.  Well, no shit, bad weeks happen but isn't part of the outrage of being a child of a narcissistic parent was the fact that they used us as their personal emotional punching bag?  Some stayed out raged.  I am one of them.

It all started on Wednesday when upsi responded to this comment:
http://upsi-upsi.blogspot.com/2012/10/well-allow-me-to-retort.html

Reading all the comments takes time, if you really want to see narcissistic behavior in action, take the time.

Then continues here:

http://upsi-upsi.blogspot.com/2012/10/most-humane.html

Other spin off posts can be located on several blogs belonging to people commenting including the bully that wrote it.  (Calling her a bully is a judgement of her behavior, if the shoe fits....)

This is my spin on the emotional impact of the writer and the following defense of her behavior.

I thought the comment was cruel to begin with.  The thought that anyone would write this to upsi who has always been supportive of others was an outrage to me.  Then down the line of comments one of the 'supporters' confesses that it was her and blamed it on her medication.  It played out just like a scene from my mother calling me to come get my sister because she made her sick with a fever.  The hysteria was high.  My mother had surgery and there was a high risk of problems.  Illness was a concern.  My sister did not cause it.  My sister is my mother's scape goat.  If there is a problem, in my mother's eyes, it must be my sister's fault.  When I got to the house, my father spoke to me outside.  My father tried to smooth things over saying it was the medication talking.  I blew sky high...sounded just like the mother I knew.  Medication be damned, it was an easy out for her to behave exactly how she wanted.  She wanted to blame my sister.  She wanted everything to be someone else's fault.  She lashed out at my sister because in the past she has always gotten away with it and felt justified in her unsubstantiated claim.  I went in the house called her surgeon, explained the situation.  (This was about 9:00 PM.)  Soothing noises.  Another round of accusations and hysterics, called the surgeon a second time.  Recommendation 'go to the hospital.'  No duh.  (Yes I am using sarcasm...lots of it.)  Results from the hospital, my mother had a bladder infection, which by the way had nothing to do with my sister.  Did my sister get a real apology?  Of course not.  In all the comments to upsi I did not see a real apology.  I read scape goating and blaming.  Stir things up? Oh yea, I am definitely stirred up.  upsi does not deserve to be treated as an emotional punching bag by her parents or ANYONE ELSE.  The person that wrote the cruel words I hope gets the help she needs so she doesn't tear in to another person that doesn't deserve her venom.  I agree in time forgiveness is possible.  I do feel that each of us is accountable for our behavior.  Bullies get away with what they do because people do not want to stand up and say, "You can't do this."  Yes, I might hurt the bullies's feelings, in my opinion, accountability is what stops the bullying.



6 comments:

Judith said...

You said much of how I felt about the episode. I don't understand why some defended this bully and chastised us for calling out the wrongdoing. *sigh*

Thanks for standing up to it. :) it's a step in the direction of healing.

insi said...

Amen, Ruth. A hug and a high five.

Ruth said...

Thank you upsi.

Ruth said...

Thank you vicariousrising.

mulderfan said...

If we find ourselves making excuses for someone else's behaviour, something's wrong...with us. None of us need to step up and take responsibility for this bully's behaviour. She's the one that needs to own it, not us!

Some of us called her on it for the simple reason that what she did was wrong. End of story.

Ruth said...

I agree mulderfan. Thank you for supporting upsi.