Friday, October 5, 2012

Fear of making mistakes

 Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.purposefairy.com/6464/7-reasons-why-not-making-mistakes-is-the-biggest-mistake/

I learned more from my mistakes than I ever did from my successes.


The FEAR of being nothing, achieving nothing and becoming nothing should be way bigger than the fear of making mistakes.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing. ~ George Bernard Shaw
Here are 7 reasons why not making mistakes is in fact the biggest mistake you could ever make.
1. MISTAKES HELP US DISCOVER WHO WE ARE
2. LIFE LESSONS – MISTAKES TEACH US VALUABLE LIFE LESSONS
3. FORGIVENESS – MISTAKES TEACH US HOW TO FORGIVE
4. FREE FROM FEAR – MISTAKES HELP US LET GO OF OUR FEARS
5. LIVE WITHOUT REGRETS
6. GROWTH – WITH MISTAKES COMES GROWTH AND PROGRESS
7MISTAKES ARE STEPPING STONES TO HAPPINESS
Believe it or not, you will not make all the mistakes you expect to make, and when you do make mistakes, the sky will not fall down and the whole world will not stop from doing whatever it is doing just so it can laugh at you.

 One of the struggles that I experienced was overcoming my fear of making any mistake.  I would get so distressed that it would freeze me in place until I wouldn't do anything at all.

Mistakes help us discover who we are....
In my fear of making a mistake I didn't learn what I could do.  I was so worried about what I couldn't do that I had no energy to find out what I could do.  Counseling reignited my love for experimenting.  What will happen if I.....  This is how I learned to fix computers.  Now I am applying it to learning how to cook better.  More importantly I am using this same method to learn a lot of different things.  My mother tried to raise a perfect child.  If I made any mistakes, she would lecture me on what I could do so I never made that mistake again.  When I raised my kids I tried to give them a sense that if something failed try something else.  (I didn't always succeed at that.)  Thomas Edison found on his path to improve a light bulb that “We now know a thousand ways not to build a light bulb.”
He found those thousand ways by trying them. When I learned how to sew I joked that I learned by trial and error and those errors were a real trial.  I didn't seem to grasp that trial and error worked in other areas too.  It works with people.  But I was so afraid of another person being upset with me.  Don't make waves.  Peace at all cost.  My fear of failure was greater than my desire to succeed and that fear guaranteed failure.  I am experimenting with living and delighted at how much happier I feel. 

2 comments:

jessie said...

Ruth, I lived a lot of years trying to be perfect and being chastised for not being perfect. Perfectly executed life = worthy of love to my parents.

As I started to free myself, I began to try and learn things on my own (and this was before I really knew what was going on in my FOO). It used to drive my DH nuts that I wouldn't just call his mother for a recipe, or get the steps from someone in order to do something. He thought I was stubborn. I kept insisting that I just wanted to learn. That there was no learning in following someone else's recipes. It wasn't that I was wholly opposed to asking for help or tips, but I liked to do my own research, try something myself first, and then see what I needed help with. I just found it so exciting and fulfilling to try something, learn something, and try again.

Ruth said...

Good for you Jessie.