Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sit with it

I am dodging and weaving and dragging my feet and even cleaning the house to avoid writing a certain post.  NewCounselor suggested that when I have a feeling I don't understand, sit with it awhile.  Now I came to realize when you SIT WITH something it is not the same as being in the same room and ignoring each other.  I am a pro at dissociating, which is like taking my emotion, put it in a box and leaving it on the shelf.  I decided ignoring my feelings is not the same as SITTING WITH them.  All caps, I am trying to share the ominous feeling I have when encountering my emotions at close range.  This past weekend, I packed in back to back activities added making jam, washing clothes and dishes, cleaning the house more than usual, made a couple of simple dresses for a project, I am exhausted from the weekend and any stray moment was consumed with Sudoku or mind numbing computer game.  Emotions are scary.  Here's the deal.  I worked with a counselor for the last 9 years.  My first counselor, KavinCoach, reconnected me with my emotions.  NewCounselor finished the process by teaching me to sit with them.  I talked it over with NewCounselor and I am going to try living without counseling.  I am not quitting, I think I am graduating.  Quite frankly, I am a bit afraid of sitting with my own emotions without a counselor refereeing the encounter.  I am home alone with my emotions.  Cool thing is a lot of the time I am feeling really good.  Kind of a sugar buzz feeling after eating half a box of chocolates.  Unfortunately, those are not the only emotions.  Since telling NewCounselor I want to try functioning on my own, I woke up several times with severe panic attacks.  The kind that wake you up and you feel like something is crushing the breath out of you.  [Awesome. ]  (All words within brackets need to be read with extreme sarcasm.) So here I sit with a massive ball of emotions with things wiggling and slithering around and I am not so sure about any of this.  Living without emotions is easier, less confusing, and a barren desert.  The Sahara desert has more life.  I am excited and terrified all at the same moment like when I was a kid and like to jump off the high dive... no I didn't like it, I pushed myself to overcome my fear.    



6 comments:

Judith said...

I really relate to this post. I "graduated" from therapy about 2 years ago. I still don't sit we'll with my emotions and compartmentalize the hell out of them. But I think I needed a break from constantly talking about my inner thoughts. I'm back with a PTSD therapist, and it's a different process. But I think it's good that I know going back to therapy is always an option.

Ruth said...

Thanks vicariousrising. I am getting books on PTSD. One book I read hit on the all the different things that my counselor worked me through. I always have the option of going back as needed.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Happy Graduation! I hope you celebrate with your friends and family! I think you should have a huge party! I am so excited for you and happy for you. New things are scary - going it alone is soooo scary and I am so proud of you for reaching that level! Way to go, Ruth!!!!!

Evan said...

It is ok to go slow and feel the feelings in little bits.

Great to hear that you are mostly feeling good.

jessie said...

Thanks for this Ruth. I don't struggle to sit with my emotions (I often sit with them too much) but some one I care about does. He also tends to put them in a box, stash them on a shelf, and pretend they aren't there. This post gives me a lot to think about.
Good luck with the graduation! Graduating is always scary, with the fear of the unknown, but things have a way of balancing themselves out.

Ruth said...

Thanks for the encouragement.