Thursday, October 11, 2012

Feel the fear and do it anyway

The best way to gain self-confidence is to do what you are afraid to do. - Unknown
Took a little break to enjoy driving around the state with DH. I got sun burnt hiking and had a wonderful time taking pictures. However, one place threw me for a loop. Mining country in Northern Arizona is full of old shafts. Aubrey shaft is on display with a grate and plexi glass over the opening. The shaft goes 1900 feet underground. To give you an idea of how deep that is, you could drop in two Eiffel Towers or the Empire State building with several 100 feet left over. I wanted to take a picture. Please keep in mind that the shaft is totally covered by grating and plexi glass. There is no way for me or my camera to fall in. I totally freak. I can barely move forward to take the blurriest of pictures. I am talking heart pounding, death grip on camera fear. I finally took a couple of shots after repeated efforts. That night I had nightmares. [Awesome.] The next day we were still in the area. My DH took me back to the shaft and let me decide if I wanted to tackle it again. I decided I did not want this fear to master me. I got the shot. I am still amazed that years ago men got onto the 4 x 4 foot platform to be dropped hundreds of feet underground to mine gold and silver. The feat of engineering boggles my mind. With encouragement I faced my fear, I am proud of getting this picture.





8 comments:

mulderfan said...

Just looking at the picture gave me the "willies"!

Calibans Sister said...

There's a wonderful book by the name "Feel the Fear (and Do it Anyway)". REad it about twentyfive years ago and it helped give me the courage to decide to leave my marriage (granted, a decade later). an excellent book, and principle. I've done several things that I thought I could never do, to face fear. a very strengthening exercise.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Just looking at your picture got to me. Good for you for conquering that fear! What a great picture/trophy! Way to go, Ruth!

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan, one of the other visitors stood on the plexi glass. I nearly had heart failure.

Cal's Sis I love that book. I probably need to add it to my book list. After awhile I realized that most of my life I did thinks anyway since I felt fear most of the time. I am getting very used to not feeling afraid all the time.

Thanks Anon. :)

Judy said...

*shivers* Well done!

Ruth said...

Thanks Judy. :)

Janet said...

Yay! you did it! Woot to DH for letting it be your decision if you wanted to tackle it again.

Karrie said...

That picture is fantastic! Love the lighting. Wouldn't know you terrified if you hadn't said. @Caliban Sister, Yes! Susan Jeffers' Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway is fantastic.