Sunday, October 16, 2011

Kindsight

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=10150331509316299&set=a.122361256298.106150.69132076298&type=1&theater



This is a quote I saw posted as someone else's status update. I loved the message. How often am I my biggest critic me? I no longer need an abuser since I beat myself up. I am working at caring for and forgiving myself. Some of my choices were based on faulty information. Some of my choices are just plain poor. (I really shouldn't have eaten the second cookie when I know I am supposed to be leaving sugar out of my diet completely.) However, sometimes I make really good choices. This past week was a vacation from my job. I spent my time with family and friends. Very little cleaning or 'catch-up' work was accomplished. I'm ok with that. I believe I made the better choice. :)

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

I read somewhere that people like us have ended up with brains that are hard-wired in negative mode after a life-time of put downs and such. Apparently, with practice it is possible to "rewire" so that the negative thoughts are kicked to the curb like garbage.

An addictions counselor told me I should tell the little demon that urged me to have a drink to "stop" or even better "shut the f**k up" and say these out loud if necessary. Each time the demon's voice was silenced he got weaker until now I NEVER have the urge to drink.

Now I am working with the same technique to rid my brain of "negative self-talk" that used to run as a constant background chatter in my head. It's working but I have to be patient because I am trying to rewire a lifelong habit.

Try it...it works!

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

(((P/M))) I was also told how difficult my challenge will be to rewire my head. I joked with KavinCoach that my job was easier. As a computer tech I could wipe the hard drive. He had to carefully persuade me to alter my thinking at my most basic reflex reaction. I think the fact that both you and I have changed is a tribute to our determination to get healthy. Congratulations on your reprogramming drinking and I know you can do it with the negative self talk. You deserve kindness.
Ruth :)