Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Take that....

You know there are some comments that are so dead-on they deserve a post of their own.  In response to yesterday's down turn....


Chick-lit and flicks cater to the stereotypical. YOU ARE NOT STEREOTYPICAL! THANK GOD!
Thank you.  :)
RESET.

I don't like that stuff either. I have wonderful, healthy female friends who don't like that stuff either! Do you really see Corrie Ten Boom or Mother Theresa getting into that?  No If you're worried about being more like a woman, then the question to ask is "Who do you want to be like?" Good point.  Which women do I like?  You.  upsi.  mulderfan.  Kiki.  Elle+family.  Corrien Ten Boom.  Mother Theresa. "Who do you admire?" You.  upsi.  mulderfan. Kiki.  Elle+family.  Corrien Ten Boom.  Mother Theresa. Do you admire the women who act that way? No, I was feeling like I was not fitting a role.   Really?  Yea.  I have felt like such a freak most of my life and I just wanted to fit the text book.  Yea, it was from a psychology text book.  Kind of like trying to fit on the weight chart in the doctors office and you know you never will.  You know not all of them do, or you wouldn't have so many female friends. And you do have quite a few female friends. You are right, I do have many amazing female friends and an awesome sister and wonderful daughters and daughter-in-laws.

What the hell brought on this "I wish I were like them" crap? Doing homework assigned by my counselor.  WHY? Because I pay him big bucks to help me to be healthy.  Who are the mystical "they?" Well at the moment of reading the article, every woman except me.  Are they God? Don't think so.  I agree.  They are not God.   I think God is much nicer.  :)

You are amazing and unique and great at being YOU. Who else is going to do it? Oooo I like that.  I do play me well.  If God wanted us to all be the same, He would have backed a different plan. I know what you mean. 

Now, consider this: You were taught that women are treacherous and weak and stupid and powerless. Actually, when you come right down to it, you were taught that women are evil. Is it any wonder you did everything in your power to not emulate anything that might identify you as one?  Makes a lot of sense that I would do my damnedest to be the opposite, both on a conscious and an unconscious level.  

Make your own definition of what a woman is and live up to that. Personally, Corrie Ten Boom is one of my templates. So is Lucy Monroe, along with most of her heroines. Diane Gaston, Mary, Jan, Margaret, Debbie, Mary Ann, Connie, and several other friends are also on that list in varying degrees. Not one is a typical woman, though a few of them do like chick-flicks. That's okay. :-) You have awesome friends and so do I. 

You've raised great kids.  Yes, I did.  You make bread and jam, from scratch. Yum (There are plenty of "typical women" who wouldn't have a clue where to start.) You're very nurturing, or you wouldn't have started this website to help others. That's true. You like manicures and pedicures. I hate them, so does that make me less of a woman? Nope. I've never had children; does that make me less of a woman? Nope I've never been married or had a lover; does that make me less of a woman? Nope Are you really going to let THEM define womanhood for you? I didn't realize until I read this that I had another option.  I worked so hard to become something different than what I am.  I am me.  You decide. You. Should be an interesting session tomorrow unless my daughter's baby arriving lets me off the hook.  :)
~Judy   
Thanks Judy,  This was exactly what I needed.  Your feeling loved sister,  Ruth

Judy knows I like spiders so wore it in her hair when we celebrated my 10 years cancer free. 


5 comments:

mulderfan said...

Ruth, we all know "One Size Fits All" is a dirty rotten lie on the panty hose package, so some male generated idea of what a woman should be is probably another dirty rotten lie!

Just because I woke up one morning and knocked down a railing I hated, then had to figure out how to build a half wall to replace it doesn't make me less of a woman. Actually, it just makes me rather handy to have around!

I responded to Judy's comment on your last post but I'm happy to say again, you rock Ruth and you have a kick ass sister!

Love having you BOTH in my life! P/M

Ruth said...

Thanks P/M, you and Judy both helped put me back on even keel. Actually the article was written by a lady. Absolutely, I have a kick ass sister and I am so thankful it was my ass she kicked. I feel much better now. No word from baby yet. As of 4:00 AM, he is perfectly content to stay exactly where he is. I am thankful that my kids all were born before their due date.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo I always wanted to be a kick-ass woman. WHOOHOO!! Thank you, ladies! Then again, it's kind of hard to take credit when I'm only speaking the truth, couched in my opinion. :-D ~Judy

Elle said...

"Oooo I like that. I do play me well."

I laughed out loud at that one. :) I am so flattered that you included me and my family in your list. I hope you know we have all come to really admire and cherish you, Ruth. You send out such positive and healing energy to others. So thank you for playing you so well.

And thank you, Judy, for such an awesome comment. You and your sister are a force to be reckoned with!

Cheers,
Elle & family

Ruth said...

Thanks Elle and Family. Your comments have me smiling. :)