Tuesday, May 15, 2012

FOOD TEST

Like any high pressure test there were multiple parts to this week's exam.  The first night that we arrived at the hotel we sat down for dinner and waited.  This was a fancy restaurant, the orders were sent in the day before, and we waited for over an hour for our meals to arrive.  Here is the kicker...mine came last.  Some of the people were finished eating before my food came.  Someone offered some of their bread while I waited for my meal.........Teetering on a vile pit emotionally.

When I was a kid, I used to complain about the food my mother fixed to eat for dinner.  My mother had the philosophy that "He who complains, has too much."  So when I complained about the food I was put on bread and water.  I had to sit at the table with the rest of the family while I was eating bread and water.  After I married, I found out I was extremely allergic to bell peppers which my mother used frequently.  I didn't break out in hives so no one believed me when I said they made me sick.  I was punished for trying to protect my insides.  To this day, bread and water is a huge comfort food.  However, in this particular situation I was teetering on the verge of a complete melt down.

Counseling to the rescue.  Both KavinCoach and NewCounselor taught me different methods of re-framing a situation.  I sat at the table repeating in my mind, "I will get fed.  If my dinner doesn't come, that is ok I have money in my pocket and I can go across the street to the fast food restaurant and order what ever I want."  I kept reviewing my choices until my dinner finally did come.  I ate but ended up not finishing since everyone was leaving the table and the waitress didn't give me the water I needed to be able to swallow my food.  I chose to walk a way.  I also planned to have a water bottle with me at the next meal no matter what the fancy restaurant people thought.  Next time - keep my glass full.  I was the last one eating any way. 

Morning breakfast was a buffet so I didn't have any waiting period.  I ate what I wanted and filled my own glass.  It was a great breakfast.  I tried something new and decided I didn't like it so I didn't make myself finish it.  I took good care of myself for breakfast.

Then at lunch time, again I was one of the last one fed but I felt a lot less anxious.  I enjoyed the club sandwich, took out the parts I didn't want to eat and shared the remaining quarter that I didn't touch with one of the students.  We then traveled to the Grand Canyon.  We didn't get back for dinner until after 9:00 PM at night.  I wisely packed trail mix to keep me munching as desired and plenty of water.  I worked at taking care of myself.  A buffet was ok but that late some of the food was more than a little over done or dried out.  Didn't matter I was able to eat.

Breakfast the next morning was another buffet.  I noticed a huge difference in my anxiety level when I compared waiting to get food and being able to serve myself.  Note to self...skip fancy restaurants that make you wait forever to eat.  Buffets are great.

3 comments:

Evan said...

Sometimes fancy restaurants think you should be grateful for being allowed to eat there. I don't go to those more than once.

Sounds like you did great.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan, I do feel really good with how I coped with the food situation. Fancy restaurants really don't appeal too much. I am more of a peanut butter and jam kind of person. Tonight I made strawberry jam. Turned out very yummy.

Laurel Hawkes said...

I would write the head of the restaurant. With the order having been placed early, there was no excuse for making you wait. Changes don't happen if no one says anything. The restaurant may choose to do nothing, but they won't be able to say that no one told them. I know you made it through, but what about someone who is diabetic and has to take insulin 15 minutes before eating...