Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Mental Health Day

 Today is the day to raise awareness of a global epidemic that costs millions in lost work, medical bills, and general lessening of life's joy; depression is wide spread.   Are you or someone you care about feeling its effects?  I suffered for a long time needlessly simply because I was told that I had no right to be depressed because I was so blessed.  I believed the person that told me this for many years.  I finally sought help when my whole life was on the verge of falling completely apart.  Please, do not let someone else dictate to you how you feel.  If you are worried about your mental health seek help.  The internet has resources that I never dreamed possible.  I lost years of my life living a twilight life because I didn't understand the connection between my physical health problems and depression.  I learned that my body was desperately trying to tell me things that my mind would not accept.  I asked my medical doctor when he suggested I was experiencing depression, "If it is all in my head, why does my body hurt so much?"  I can share some of the things that I learned since I asked this question years ago.  Depression leads you to abuse your body with not enough sleep, exercise, or relaxation.  Past abuses are stored in your body's memory; your mind may forget but your body holds a grudge for a long, long time.  When you body is sick, it affects your mental attitude;  I learned this works the other way around too, when my mind is sick, it affects my body.  If you are currently seeing a doctor for undiagnosed mystery illnesses, ask for a mental health evaluation.  Be kind to yourself and treat your whole self.  You deserve happiness and health today.


Today is WHO Mental Health Day.
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/events/annual/world_mental_health_day/en/index.html
I had a black dog, his name is depression.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiCrniLQGYc


A few links that might be helpful:
Judy's project is an on going quest towards mental health.  She shares links to others that are also striving towards healthy living.  
http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2012/10/10/sharing-posts-again/

Poppy post.  Thanks for reminder that today is Mental Health Awareness day.
http://poppyposts-blog.net/2012/10/10/today-is-world-mental-health-day-2012/

No comments: