Wednesday, October 31, 2012

How I think, becomes who I am...

9. PURIFY YOUR THOUGHTS – THOUGHTS HAVE POWER, CHOOSE THE GOOD ONES
http://www.purposefairy.com/6661/change-your-life-through-the-art-of-self-mastery/
Proverbs 23:7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he:

 My thoughts are many times dark scary place.  Allowing myself to remember the ugly dark loathsome places struck fear in my heart that I would become what my past was.  Power of choice taught me that my past does not define me.  A single thought does not define me.  I am like a pointillism art, a single picture built up with a bazillion little dots.  So how I am, is a culmination of all my thoughts and the ones I embrace become me.   (Pointillism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointillism)  I actually created one of these in my art class.  The fine tip ink pen poking the page over and over and over until an image appeared from a faintest of appearance until repetition darkened the image.  It was one of the hardest pictures I created.  Purifying my thoughts requires me to bring them out in the open.  Exam the garbage and pitch the unneeded.  I also learned that if the same thought persists over and over that I need to pay attention and find out the source of the discomfort or importance of the particular thought.  I am now understanding that good and bad thoughts push for my attention.  I think the legend told by the old grandfather is appropriate:
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.  He said, "My son, the battle is between 2 "wolves" inside us all.  One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.  The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."  The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"  The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

 http://www.feedthewolf.com/

Not a wolf but the closest picture I have. 

3 comments:

Calibans Sister said...

This is a beautiful post. Is this your dog? Beautiful.

Ruth said...

Yes this is our dog. She is beautiful. :)

Vanci said...

Hi Ruth!
Lovely post.
This sentence struck a chord in my heart:
"Power of choice taught me that my past does not define me."
What a powerful concept.

Love,
Vanci