Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Wake of damage

Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.  (On someone else's blog.  I read several and this just stuck in my head.  Thanks to vicariousrising.)


I am taking another class, this one is on violence in the classroom.  How does violence keep going?  Years ago, I had a very unpleasant boss.  I complained to my coworkers and someone suggested I go to HR.  I did.  The response, 'You don't like it, get another job.'  Well, I liked my job and higher ups changed my boss.  I decided to go to Equal Opportunity Department.  The woman listened to my complaints.  She agreed with me on everything I said.  She knew exactly who this person was.  I was bewildered by her understanding of the situation, but nothing was done about him.  The people that were fired by him without cause, quit because of how nasty he was, the misery I was experiencing, all ignored.  She kindly explained, "If he were this way to just women or minorities, we could move forward with the case.  But he is this way with everyone, it is not illegal to be a jerk."  So he stayed, until the big wigs brought in an outside organization to 'fix' our department.  The 6 Sigma leader pointed out that the problem was top down.  Sure enough, finally fired my nasty boss and hired another one just like him. The problem wasn't my immediate boss but much higher.

I wondered how people close to me didn't see how my mother behaved.  I complained.  I was told, "That is just the way she is, you got to love her."  They saw and did nothing.  What nobody thought about was the wake of damage caused by her behavior.  Nobody considered that being exposed to toxicity long term would be damaging.  I will forever bless the day when I told KavinCoach "That is just the way she is, I got to love her."  He came right back with, "No you don't."  That single line rocked my world.  I didn't have to put up with her behavior.  I didn't have to tolerate her nastiness to me.  I finally understood that I couldn't change her but I could change me.  And that change made all the difference.  Irony, I am the bad guy for saying I don't have to and walking away.  Nastiness, hurtfulness, and violence continue when good people do nothing.  Because when you do something, somehow the person standing up saying 'enough' is the bad guy.  When I decided I could live with being the ungrateful daughter, was the day I could break free and say, "No I don't."   

6 comments:

Judy said...

I'm still shocked by how freeing it was, and still is, to be able to say, "No, I don't." I'm also still amazed by those who think I'm the one who isn't loving because I maintain a "safe distance."

Janet said...

you are not the bad guy to me!

Anonymous said...

"That is just the way she is, you got to love her."

I can't tell you how many times I heard that one growing up! So glad I don't have to hear it anymore :-)

jessie said...

This is great Ruth. I'm still struggling with trying to to care about being labeled the "bad guy" for not going along with the flow of nastiness. BUT, I am learning that I don't have to stand there and go along with it either.
You sure were blessed to have KavinCoach as a therapist in your life. Thanks for sharing some of the "words of wisdom" he gave you with us.

Judith said...

I think it was me that wrote the tshirt comment.

I really appreciate this post -- being able to say I don't love my mother was freedom to me. Of course I do love her in a way, but it's really loving the mother I want to have, not the poor excuse of a human she is.

Toto said...

"That's just the way she is' was used about my Nmother and is used for all three of my Nsiblings - the WWW and her Flying Monkeys - and it's used to excuse absolutly horrific behavior. I like to come up with one-lines for various occasions and I've decided that "That's just the way I am" can be used on all sorts of occasions in my NFOO. I'm NC with the 3 Weird Sisters, but there are Defenders who really want me to re-join the ranks, but I can't - It's just the way I am!