Friday, December 28, 2012

Missed opportunities....


"Never worry about numbers.
Help one person at a time,
and always start with
the person nearest you."
- Mother Teresa

Click Here For Success Tip # 042



I sat and watched my daughter bonding with her sweet little newborn daughter. I knew if I brought out the camera the fleeting moment would past so I watched and let it linger.  I watched love grow right before my eyes.  What a blessing it was to me to once again share a blessed event of a birth in our family.

I thought about my mother not being at the birth of my children.  We moved away after our second child was born so I could see why she could say it was my doing.  But for 2 of them I lived in the same city.  The first she had shingles and wouldn't hold our son.  However, I did call her and ask her to bring me something to eat when she visited the hospital.  (I didn't know when I ordered meals at the hospital that if I marked toast it was just that, a piece of toasted bread with no butter or jam.  I didn't order enough to fill the hunger I felt after doing some hard labor.)  She came that evening and brought me a whole honey dew melon.  Yup, a whole melon and no knife.  She did what I asked but I was still hungry.  The second child I barely made it to the hospital in time and was back home by the end of the day.  Only thing I remember about my mother was her refusal to once again hold or have anything to do with her granddaughter.  There it was, her missed opportunity to share in with what I shared with my daughter.  I did give her chances, she refused the opportunity.  I sat there and thought about the letters written by upsi and mulderfan clearly outlining what they needed from their parents for a relationship.  Their parents missed the opportunity to build a relationship.  I read on Facebook a mother lamenting trying to get a moment alone to write her children kept wanting to be with her.  I wanted to shake her and tell her the book can wait the children won't.

This year I didn't bake cookies or bread for my neighbors.  I didn't finish some Christmas presents.  (New Years day is a good day to give presents.  :)  I missed a day of school to be with my daughter during false labor.  Chuckled when she complained because she did do this to me.  Watched my SIL cuddle his son who was now a big brother.  Watched my daughter talk to and consult with nurses and doctors as to the best way to take care of herself and her growing family.  I felt so blessed to be included because I listened to what my daughter had to say when I asked, "How can I help you?"  I didn't miss a thing.  I feel so blessed and joyful. 

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

This sounds wonderful! You're right Ruth. If you learn how to REALLY listen most of the important people in our lives will tell us exactly what they need for a healthy relationship.

Judith said...

My mother did the same thing when my brother's wife had their daughter earlier this year -- claimed shingles and didn't go to see the newborn. I'd bet all my mother had was a slight rash. She seldom sees a doctor so she probably self-diagnosed. She lies south it's hard to know what's true. What I know is true is her inability to bond with people other than my father.

What a lovely experience for you! Thank you for sharing it.

Ruth said...

I agree mulderfan. Listening and acting on what we hear makes a wonderful difference in relationships.

Your welcome vicariousrising. Over on Facebook the question was asked if a person wanted the ugly truth or pretty lies. Problem with pretty lies they soon become ugly ones with no way to straighten it out.