Thursday, December 13, 2012

Take a break then move forward again....

"It is our choices...that show what we
truly are, far more than our abilities"
- J. K. Rowling



 Choices - day after day and moment by moment make up the mosaic of our lives. I notice that when I work very hard on emotional healing I get to the point where I need to take a break or sit back and evaluate where I am at.  After a break, even a short one, I am ready to move forward again.  I am tackling suggestions on how to promote a positive self-concept in children.  I am reviewing then rewriting each one to help me parent myself and create an atmosphere to gain a positive self-concept about myself.  To review number 8:


8. Helping children to understand their feelings. Talk about the feelings the child is experiencing and give it a name.  Encourage them to find acceptable avenues for releasing emotions. 

Now, how can I rewrite this to turn it into a way for me to parent myself and improve my self-concept?  When I feel something I need to first identify what the emotion is.  Some emotions are hiding another emotion behind it.  Anger often fronts fear, hurt or frustration.  Identifying anger isn't enough for me to identify the emotion that is triggering the anger.  So I take a leaf out of the stuff NewCounselor taught me to "sit" with an emotion.  The final step is the hardest for me is finding acceptable avenues for releasing emotion.  I will tackle these steps a little at a time.  I don't need to do everything today.  I am also hoping you, the readers to share your ideas on what you do to help with emotional situations.  



Waiting for a perfect day to get going...

2 comments:

Judy said...

If I'm angry, with underlying frustration, I find it helpful to email a trusted friend with a rant. I'll state in the subject it's a rant. It's helpful to get it out of my head to someone who will give me the tea and sympathy I crave so I can take the next step to working through the problem.

Ruth said...

Those rants are often interesting insights to the insanity we deal with. I will add this to my list of things to try.