Monday, February 11, 2013

Debated all day

All day on Sunday I debated back and forth on this next part I love about myself.  Religion is very much a part of what I do and who I am.  It is a main stay for me.  I had the experience more than once of being persecuted for my beliefs.  When I started blogging, I commented on someone else's blog that I would pray for them in a difficult situation.  The comment back was pointed and in my opinion written to be as hurtful as possible.  The person really lashed out.  My Buddhist friend defended me.  I appreciated her support and kindness.  My beliefs are so tightly intermingled with my thought processes I don't know how to single them out.  Today in church the discussion turned to when were we were converted.  I couldn't pick out a single event that caused me to believe so deeply in Christ and my religion.  There were so many events that seemed to jump out at me in my mind.  When I was a child at a book sale and I chose the Bible as my book for me.  10 cents and I was the proud owner of an old beat up Bible.  Eventually I was given my own New Testament which I read in Junior high...on my own.  I wavered about church going since people are people and often seemed cruel to me.  In high school, I separated my belief in the Gospel of Christ from the shortcomings of people trying to live it.  I was harassed in school over my religion and told that I was no longer acceptable to be around unless I changed.  I agreed and changed my friends.   Over time, my depth of my conversion to Christ has deepened and strengthened.  I share in my book my testimony of Christ and my Heavenly Father.  I know not everyone agrees with me.  I don't believe people need to agree with each other to be able to get along.  I am a believer in Christ that is part of who I am. 

He has my name written on the palm of His hand

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Your Buddhist friend will continue defend and admire your beliefs because they make you, YOU! When my Christian friends offer to pray for me I consider it a precious gift.

Ruth said...

Thank you. Hugs.

Tundra Woman said...

Ruth, I felt so sad when I read this. I can not imagine you without your faith-in my mind, I can't separate the two. Your faith IS you. It has sustained you, it has "grown" you, it has fed/watered and held you during some terrible, terrible periods in your life.
Your faith is so genuine, just as your striving to live your beliefs in the secular world on a daily basis is genuine. I have such respect for you as a human being, a *real* Christian, a woman.
I don't comment often, but I come to your site quite frequently just to read and look at your beautiful artwork. Your ability to find and bring beauty to the world despite the very real ugliness and pain is inspiring to me. Thank you.
I'm so sorry, Ruth. You have such gifts and offer them freely. I can not conceive of a mind that would take offense at your offer to keep them in your prayers.
TW

Ruth said...

Thank you TW. I appreciate your compliment and your kind words. The timing was beautiful. Feeling rough around the edges and this soothed my soul. Bless you.