Sunday, February 24, 2013

I'm a nerd

  The important thing is not to stop questioning.  ~Albert Einstein

  Over the years I had a certain perspective of myself.  When I was hired to take care of the computer labs about 15 years ago, I had a major shift in perspective.  I read the book Computers for Dummies.  There was a page on how to take care of your Nerd.  At the end of the page, I admitted I was a Nerd.  (By this books definition the super annoying person that actually knows what the acronyms for computers mean. Enjoys playing with computers and will work long hours to solve an obscure problem that no one else cares about.)  I finally bought myself a t-shirt that said, "Resident Nerd."  One of the junior high students questioned me as why I would want to be known as a nerd.

This was my reply:
http://iwastesomuchtime.com/on/?i=23371
Michael Jordan having "retired," with $40 million in endorsements, makes $178,100 a day, working or not.
If he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every night while visions of sugarplums dance in his head.

If he goes to see a movie, it'll cost him $7.00, but he'll make $18,550 while he's there.

If he decides to have a 5-minute egg, he'll make $618 while boiling it.

He makes $7,415/hr more than minimum wage.

He'll make $3,710 while watching each episode of Friends.

If he wanted to save up for a new Acura NSX ($90,000) it would take him a whole 12 hours.

If someone were to hand him his salary and endorsement money, they would have to do it at the rate of $2.00 every second.

He'll probably pay around $200 for a nice round of golf, but will be reimbursed $33,390 for that round.

Assuming he puts the federal maximum of 15% of his income into a tax deferred account (401k), his contributions will hit the federal cap of $9500 at 8:30 a.m. on January 1st.

If you were given a penny for every 10 dollars he made, you'd be living comfortably at $65,000 a year.

He'll make about $19.60 while watching the 100 meter dash in the Olympics, and about $15,600 during the Boston Marathon.

While the common person is spending about $20 for a meal in his trendy Chicago restaurant, he'll pull in about $5600.

This year, he'll make more than twice as much as all U.S. past presidents for all of their terms combined. Amazing isn't it?

However...
If Jordan saves 100% of his income for the next 450 years, he'll still have less than Bill Gates has today.

$$$ Game over. Nerd wins. 

Working at the university I learned that my obsession for learning obscure things about computers, printers, and other stuff that artist needed in the digital dark room was appreciated by students and professors.  I was very popular during finals.  

1 comment:

Judith said...

I've never understood why being a nerd was something to be ashamed of. Sure, there's some weirdo nerds who are kind of creepy, but being smart and curious and a little different are things to aspire to.

Of course, I'd take Michael Jordan's salary too.

I also don't get wht a lot of young girls run from bring called a feminist. Because being pro-female is bad? I guess both labels are about stereotypes and negative impressions are more about fear of others than the truth of what a "nerd" or "feminist" or "put-your-label-here" really is.