Sunday, August 31, 2014

Seeking Spiritual Experiences

Sometimes I have spiritual experiences at random.  Seeing a glorious sunrise or sunset, a rainbow reminder of God's promise, a moment in time that I feel truth testified to me in my heart as well as my head are all random moments that my spirit is touched and engaged with living.  Usually, I need to go looking for spiritual experiences.  Everyday living of put your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grind stone with my back against the wall is an awkward position to work in with little room for spiritual communion.  Yoga has meditating, Buddhism has chanting, Christianity has prayer all avenues to seek for and experience stirrings of the spirit.  Much of the time I tend to ignore spiritual needs.  Occasionally I get down right cynical about where was God when I was having such and such problem.  I am quick to remind myself that He is right there if I will seek Him.  Sometimes I just need to open my eyes.  Sometimes I need to add fasting to prayer to let God know I am really serious about needing help and not just sloughing off.  I use many poems and saying to help me seek spiritual experiences:

Footprints In The Sand is one of my favorites.
http://www.footprints-inthe-sand.com/index.php?page=Poem/Poem.php


I Sought My Soul

I sought my soul,
But my soul I could not see
I sought my God,
But my god eluded me.
I sought my brother,
And I found all three.


I use scriptures:

Psalm 23

1 (A Psalm of David.) The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.
2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.


I read the New Testament when I was in Junior High.  My first book I bought was a 10 cent Bible.  

But I stopped reading for a long time when people in my life used the scriptures to manipulate me.  I am returning to the sacred text and remind myself that Heavenly Father loves me and sent many examples of life's challenges.  Ester, Ruth, Joseph sold into Egypt, Job, and many others are becoming my heroes.  Life shook them up and threw them down but they sought the Lord.  They felt fear and prayed.  They faced challenges and prevailed.  When I feel a need to seek spiritual experiences, I know where to turn.  

I use photography:  









No comments: