Monday, August 4, 2014

Today

Today was the first day students were back from summer vacation.  I looked forward to the day.  It ended up fairly close to how I was expecting.  I took the dips and swirls of the day in stride - I was doing great........ Yea I wish.  One of the things I learned that I do on a daily basis is hide how I am feeling from myself.  I try to have a positive outlook in the face of challenges.  This year's motto for this school year for me is to 'Enjoy the Challenge.'  I thought I was doing great until I counted the number of candy wrappers from my chocolate mini's.....I am so lying to myself.  Later that evening, my DH mentioned that I didn't seem to be there with him.  I was here physically but my body language said I was somewhere else.  I told him I was decompressing.  Bam.... Connection.  I use depression to bring down my anxiety. Well crap.  Depression is my drug of choice for anger, anxiety, frustration and a host of other emotions that I feel uncomfortable with.  Eating lots of chocolate and popcorn are symptoms.  KavinCoach told me years ago that depression is usually a better choice than unbridled anger.  However, using depression is as addictive as any drug.  It calms me down but snuffs out happiness and joy.  It also demands more and more from me to get back out of the depression I put myself in to begin with.  Tomorrow I have a dead line set by someone else.  I am fairly sure it is totally unrealistic with the time constraints I have plus picking up my hearing aid in the middle of the day.  I am not afraid of a challenge but I dislike being setup to fail.  What to do?  How do I calm the anxiety without using depression?  Think - breathe - really, breathe nice slow deep breathes.  I can't do anything tonight so I might as well frolic on Facebook then get some sleep to be well rested for tomorrow.     
  


2 comments:

TR said...

Thank you for sharing this. "KavinCoach told me years ago that depression is usually a better choice than unbridled anger."

I think this is my addiction. I shut down and my anger is pushed under. Lately I have been allowing it to come up. Being okay with being angry. It isn't pretty and can imagine that it won't until I practice it. It is a very interest point about the energy it takes to get out of my depression rather than to manage and express it appropriately.
Breathe, breathe, we can do it. xx

Judy said...

Hmmm... never thought of depression as an addiction, but I'd have to say it's my go-to choice as well. Food actually comes after depression. If the depression doesn't work, i.e., calm me, then I go to food. Wow... Need to shuffle some puzzle pieces around. They don't fit where I thought.