Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Speaking to myself

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/weightless/2014/07/25-statements-for-speaking-kindly-to-ourselves/

Beginning of each school year is tough for me because there is a ton of stuff to do in a very short time.  Once we get into the rhythm of the year it is not so high pressured, but the first week is tough.   I tend to beat myself up for not meeting all the deadlines, many of which are impossible to meet. I saved this article to reread and review for when I needed to think about being nice to myself.  (Another time is during the holiday season.) 


I don't know how many of these I want to explore but here are a few.....

1. It’s OK.

It's OK to skip mopping the floor...
It's OK to play on facebook.....
It's OK to take my time recovering....
It's OK not to meet impossible deadlines.....
It's OK to eat a nutritious dinner from a fast food diner......
It's OK to be OK.

Schools, businesses, memes, and churches are pushing us to accept nothing less than the best....strive for excellence....be the best....well sometimes it is alright to do OK.  Get the job done and stop fussing with it.  Sometimes a job done imperfectly is better than to not finish.   We are not in a game show that will press an ugly ****Blegh**** button or toss you in the water. Choose to be mediocre in some areas and excel in the ones that are most important. Remember to put the golf balls in the jar first.  (http://weareone-ruth.blogspot.com/2010/10/mayonnaise-jar.html)

2. What I really like about myself is …

Beginning of the year we take time to get to know the students.  We ask questions like this one.  What I really like about myself is...................... Go ahead make a list......if I made a list of what am I screwing up I bet I would have a much longer list.  When under pressure, I focus on what isn't done yet.  I need to take a deep breath let it out slowly then give myself credit of doing some things right.  
What I really like about myself is I'm persistent. 

3. Everyone makes mistakes. I’m human. Let me refocus on how I can learn from this. Self-bashing only makes everything worse, anyway. 

Give myself the same consideration as I would someone else.  Humans are flawed therefore we make mistakes...since I am human I will allow myself some room for error.  Mistakes can be corrected and  big booboos require apologies, I can do this.  



More to come later.....





1 comment:

mulderfan said...

My biggest breakthrough:
It's OK to be less than perfect.