Sunday, September 5, 2010

He descended below them all

Christ understands my pain.  In Isaiah 53 describes Christ life.
 2 For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him. 
From this description I know that Christ was not a person that we would covet his life or good looks.  One of the things I had wondered is if I had looked different, had more money, or lived in different circumstances I would not suffer from depression.  Interesting thing happened as I read and studied depression.  Depression affects all walks of life.  Depression seems to be one of those human conditions that everyone experiences to some degree. 
 3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not
He felt sorrow.  He knew grief.  He did not come in His glory but in humble circumstances.  He understood being hated. And many in the world both durning His time and today do not value Christ.  During different times in my life, I have been ridiculed becuase of my faith in Christ being my Redeemer. From a young age I held a conviction that Christ is the cornerstone of my life.
  4 ¶ Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted.

  5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. 
These verses, to me, show that because Christ knows and understands suffering; He can heal me of my suffering.  I was once asked, "Why did Christ suffer so much?"  I answered with conviction.  "So He would know where to find me in this deep pit of despair."  There is no where so dark or so undesirable a place that Christ does not know where to find me and bring me to the light.  I do believe that he gently leads me out of darkness because if I was suddenly surrounded by His light I would be afraid or overwhelmed.  Each morning the dawn slowly pushes away the darkness.  In the same sense for me the depression in my life slowly recedes.  Some days I do better than others.  I recognize now how far I have come out of darkness.  My Savior has guided me along the way.  I know that Christ lives and understands my every fear, depression, my broken heart, or any other negative feeling I have.  He heals me in His time and way.  I don't always understand but I know He is with me.  Foot Prints In The Sand is one of my favorite poems that describes so beautifully what I feel.     

No comments: