Wednesday, June 15, 2011

All things relative

Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.
Albert Einstein

You can get much further with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
Al Capone

When truth is nothing but the truth, it's unnatural, it's an abstraction that resembles nothing in the real world. In nature there are always so many other irrelevant things mixed up with the essential truth.
Aldous Huxley

Bridge to my future.

Relative to what?   When I married, my DH described a home life that I decided was much worse than anything I ever experienced.  25 years later we went to marriage counseling.  The kids were all leaving home to start their own families and lives.  I felt like I couldn't communicate with DH since all we seemed to talk about was the kids.  Enter counseling and KavinCoach.  Within a few months, he pointed out that I was the problem.  Thanks.  That was just awesome.  DH's childhood was worse than what I could remember.  I just didn't remember anything before Junior High and not much of that either.  ABUSE.  A big ugly word that represent a whole gamut of activities.   KavinCoach watched my behavior, what bothered me, and mostly what didn't bother me.  He gave me several books on severe abuse and my only reaction was 'what do you want me to learn from it?'  Relative to the books I read what I remembered wasn't so bad.  Relative to what could have happened, my abuse wasn't that bad.  Then KavinCoach explained that if I was a child living in the conditions I described, he would have taken me out of my home.  This from a counselor that advocates in court to keep families together when possible.  Suddenly in my mind, the relative mild abuse I thought I experienced was not so mild.  The realization that my situation if I lived that way as a child today, I would have landed in a group home, rocked my relative thinking.  During this time KavinCoach taught me abuse is abuse.  Don't compare it.  Don't minimize it.  Don't exaggerate it.  Don't excuse it.  STOP telling myself that relatively speaking it wasn't THAT bad.  It was bad stuff done by my relatives and neighbor.  People that should have cared for me.  Adults that should have protected me.   The theory of relativity works for many things, abuse is not one of them.  Abuse is the purposeful harming of another human being.  Usually someone bigger and stronger on a victim with no chance of escape.  First step to changing from victim to survivor is to accept that abuse happened.  The next step from survivor to thriving abuse does NOT define who I am.  I am an adult woman that enjoys many things.  I love the sunrise.  Today was made for me.  The adventure of today starts when I open my eyes.  What do I want to do with the rest of my life, starting today?    


3 comments:

mulderfan said...

In AA we live one day at a time. Our farewell to one another after each meeting is "Have a great 24!"

Before we go to sleep we say, "Today I am grateful for..."

It's a good way to TRULY live!

Ruth said...

Present time is a great way to live.
I love the salutation "Have a great 24!"

Laurel Hawkes said...

The sun is rising on a new day. What are you going to do with this day?