Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Real people

The internet is full of real people.  - Me

15 years ago I had my first introduction to the internet involving police.  Fortunately, I could prove that the junior high student cyber bullying another student wasn't using the school's computers.  He used his mother's computer at work.  When the kid was caught, his only response was that it was just the computer and there wasn't a real person involved.  Except there was a real little girl, about 10 years old, terrified of what this 11 year old bully had written to her and about her on the internet.  The kid got a smack on the wrist since there were no laws that covered bullying cross country.  Took me years to finally use the internet for anything other than what was absolutely necessary.  I decided there were scary people out there that didn't understand I am a real person.  My children got there own password for our home computer for their 18th birthday.  They all knew that mom could and would check up on what they were doing.  Yes, more than once I was accused of being an over protective parent.  I also knew there were some really scary people out there.  The internet has grown into a huge community of people.  Like any community you have caring wonderful people that want to help others, share hope, and make the world a better place.  There also those that are dishonest, con artist with a new way to scam people.  Then there are those that are mean and vicious using the internet to spread their nets to capture more victims.   The horror stories are many.  I viewed first hand the horrible places a junior high student could go while the teacher ignored him while she taught the class.  I saw some of the worse first.  My photography work introduced me to the brighter side of the internet.  This year I started this blog.  My reasons were many.  What I didn't expect was to stumble onto mulderfan's and upsi's blogs.  I discovered real, caring people that were struggling with some of the same problems I was, narcissistics in the family.  From there I learned about other people that are learning lessons in life and sharing with others.  I also learned about "Trolls."  Human beings that don't seem to realize that the computer links you to other human beings.  I learned that I need to be cautious yet caring.  Words I have said have offended people.  I try not to do that but I am human and sometimes my opinions come from a very different place.  Sometimes the written word just fails to convey what I mean.  Sometimes it is just that, a difference of opinion.  Words only.  No body language, no tone of voice, no clues other than words on a page makes it difficult for everyone to communicate sometimes.  I try to tread softly.  I try to be caring.  I want to add a little piece that might help someone else like I have been helped.  Thank you to all the people out there sharing what they have learned.  This world is a better place because of you.  Thank you readers for coming here and sharing your comments, reminds me that there are people out there reading my words.  We can share with this world the light that we have, our kindness, our struggles, our triumphs.  Thanks all you real people for making this an incredible experience for me.   

7 comments:

Pronoia Agape said...

Thank you!You're a very real and wonderful person to me!

Ruth said...

Thanks PA. Have a beautiful day. :)

Anonymous said...

great insight....the internet, the church, the PTA, the whatever, are all filled with different people on different paths. It is never wise to live in black and white. When we understand that everything is gray we can protect ourselves yet still enjoy others.

mulderfan said...

The sharing and support have worked both ways, Ruth. I'm so glad we "met"!

Hugs P/M

Ruth said...

Cheshire, you are so right. I used my camera to investigate gray. I now have several hundred gray photographs. Learning to protect myself without being overprotective is an interesting challenge.

Thanks P/M, I am so glad we "met." You are making such a difference. Thanks, Ruth

Laurel Hawkes said...

C.S. Lewis said that we read so we know we are not alone. My BFF's husband didn't consider people on the internet real friends if they'd never met, then I sent homemade jam. Funny, he promptly decided that I was a real friend. :-) Almost all my close friends are people I've met through the internet, only a couple live in the same state I do! I would have missed all the others without the internet. A sad thought. I've encountered quite a few trolls, but the same thing happens face-to-face, too.

Ruth said...

Thanks Laurel. Good point that face-to-face can have the same hazards.