Friday, June 24, 2011

Thicker than water

Thanks to NewCounselor for assistance in finding a solution to this weeks challenges.  I am really thankful to have a second really good counselor. 




On Jonsi's blog she has shared the interactions that have occurred with her husbands family of origin.  You can read the post that generated upsi's reply at:
http://jonsi-jonsi.blogspot.com/2011/06/nmil-puppeteer.html

I've been researching the origins of the expression "blood is thicker than water" and it turns out it means exactly the opposite of what people use it for. People use it to mean family ties are the most important, but really the saying comes from the idea of a blood covenant - "blood of the covenant is thicker than water of the womb" - in other words, the bonds we make in faith are stronger than those of family.

The bonds we forge in choice, with all our hearts and all our faith, with those we make a promise to stand by and honor, are thicker than the water we're born in - stronger than the bonds with the family we're born into. Because we choose to make those covenants. What we choose for ourselves is stronger than what is chosen for us.



I have been haunted by this saying on more than one occasion.  It is a relief to know that the meaning had been twisted from the original. I agree 100% that ties to what we have chosen should be stronger than the randomness of birth.







4 comments:

said...

Aint that the truth!!!

And so happy that your counselor found you working solutions this week..a second counselor sounds very valuable!!

Thank-you again Ruth, perfect timing♥

mulderfan said...

Reminds me of the idiom: You can choose your friends, but you can't choose your family.

It's great when you find a good counselor. My 1st one was a dud but I had been given some great advice by a psychologist I worked with in the school system. He told me the chance finding someone I could pour my heart out to on the 1st try was a bit like hoping to find a life partner the 1st time you ever went on a date. So, I tried again and struck gold!

Glad you got some help, Ruth!

Hugs P/M

Laurel Hawkes said...

This is fascinating, and explains what my heart's been whispering all along.

Ruth said...

Thanks ♥, When my first counselor moved he introduced me to NewCounselor. I appreciate the help he gave me with the challenge of the week.

mulderfan that idiom is a good example. Glad you found a great counselor too.

I look forward to reading the post Jonsi. I shared your blog with others that are struggling with similar problems. Thanks.

I agree Laurel, I knew at some level something wasn't quite right with the interpretation I learned. I just didn't imagine it had the opposite meaning.