Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A Challenge


 "Remember there's no such thing as a small act of kindness.
Every act creates a ripple with no logical end."
- Scott Adams


I love a challenge.  Especially one that makes my days richer and more enjoyable.

The quote introducing Lifebegins45 post is one I ignored in the past.

One day at a time is enough... don't look back & grieve the past, it's gone... don't be troubled about the future, it has not come yet... live in the present &make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering.  

Lifebegins45 shared a different perspective to me.  She also shared a challenge:

I love this: Live in the present and make it so beautiful, it will be worth remembering.
I’m issuing a challenge, and I’d like to hear what you discover in 1 week, 2 weeks and so on…
We all need to find a way to make EVERY day beautiful in some way.
How will you make today and each day beautiful? It can be in something you do. Spend the day with a friend you haven’t seen for quite some time. Smile at a stranger. Walk in the park. Do what makes you feel beautiful and blessed.
http://lifebegins45.wordpress.com/2012/08/31/a-little-encouragement/

Her update is below:
http://lifebegins45.wordpress.com/2012/09/04/encouragement-for-a-challenge/


How often have I deprived myself of beautiful moments because I felt I didn't deserve them?  How many times did I choose working from a never ending list of chores in hopes of finally being good enough?  How often did I turn away from a beautiful sunset because I needed to hurry and get more work done?  People talk about abuse victims rebelling and going wild; they rarely mention those abuse victims that take all the joy out of their lives because they think they don't deserve it.  Working hard at achieving high grades, excelling at their profession, and still go home feeling terrible about themselves and their lives.  Do something beautiful, once a day...What do you think?  Do you believe you deserve beautiful moments?  


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post, Ruth! I have to also commend you on your book (below). It's beautiful and eye-opening.. Have a great day!

Ruth said...

Thank you. I am glad you enjoyed my book. :)

Evan said...

I love this.

I agree with that quote about living in the present. The big thing it leaves out is that we remember and anticipate in the present too.

It is worth paying attention to our remembering and planning as well as current sensation. We may be avoiding or preparing or learning or resolving something from the past.

Cassandra said...

Good point, Evan.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan, that is why I always dismissed this kind of quote before. What Lifebegins45 taught me was that how I behave right now will make the memories of tomorrow. A simple concept that I needed a reminder.

Thanks Cassandra.