Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Fuzzy brain

One of the reasons why I love J.K. Rowling Harry Potter.  She explains things:

"What's a Wrackspurt?" - Ginny

"They're invisible creatures. They float in your ears and make your brain go fuzzy." - Luna Lovegood



Clearing out brain fuzz today.  Part of the problem was lack of sleep, I took a long nap.  Part of it is calming down from how I felt this morning.  Before integration, I could switch off emotions.   Switching off more and more frequently until 'Wrackspurts' took up permanent residence.  Depression, fuzziness, switched off, all descriptions of how I kept  how I felt under wraps.  I am calm tonight.  All day, I thought about how could I possibly make a difference.  Taking a whack at it I feel like a pigmy attacking a tank, puny and useless.  I checked my iGoogle quotes and check out what was waiting for me tonight:

"Never worry about numbers.
Help one person at a time,
and always start with
the person nearest you."
- Mother Teresa

Click Here For Success Tip # 042


I can hardly believe how incredibly accurate of a solution is right here.  I can help by writing here.  I can help by speaking up when it is appropriate.  That is my decision.  I learned a long time ago that speaking up is not the only part that needs to happen.  Listening is part of helping, too.  I keep learning more everyday about mental health, child abuse, sexual abuse, and how these are interrelated.  I don't have all the answers but I am starting to understand the questions and how I can improve my own life.  Today a friend shared this on Facebook:

http://www.1-800-therapist.com/feature-article/family-violence-creates-trauma-similar-warfare
            Childhood abuse sets a person up for a life time of difficulties. 

The cards of life were stacked against me feeling happy from a young age.  I think I feel a certain amount of pride when I feel happy anyway. 

      Mother Teresa's Anyway Poem

People are often unreasonable, illogical and self centered;
Forgive them anyway.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives;
Be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and some true enemies;
Succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you;
Be honest and frank anyway.
What you spend years building, someone could destroy overnight;
Build anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous;
Be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow;
Do good anyway.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough;
Give the world the best you've got anyway.
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and your God;
It was never between you and them anyway.
[Reportedly inscribed on the wall of Mother Teresa's children's home in Calcutta, and attributed to her. However, an article in the New York Times has since reported (March 8, 2002) that the original version of this poem was written by Kent M. Keith.]


 If you were abused as a child, the prediction is that you will be depressed most of your life;
Find joy anyway.  


















4 comments:

Kara said...

Ruth, you are making a difference. Your blog has strengthened me, in turn I have been able to share what I have learned from you with friends who are going through similar issues and they feel better. It's a ripple effect. What you write about gives people answers, validation and encouragement. I am really grateful that you decided to start this blog and share it with us.

Hugs.

Calibans Sister said...

Ruth, I love this post, and the Keith poem. It's wonderful and true and important. And the photograph--which I assume you took given your policy re photos--is stunning. Beautiful. Wonderful.

Ruth said...

Thanks Kara, I am glad to know that you can pass on what I learn. Thanks for the hugs.

Botanical gardens have a butterfly pavilion every year. I love taking pictures of butterflies. The Keith poem is a favorite of mine. Thanks Cal's sis. :)

Unknown said...

I love this post, Ruth! :)

Thanks for sharing the "Anyway" poem - it's a real blessing. :)

- Quercus