Monday, September 3, 2012

Pit of anger

I usually write this the night before....I started to write but nothing seemed right.  I thought, "I will play a little Bejeweled to clear my head."  At 4:30 AM I went to bed, dismayed at the raging feelings I was having.  This morning I woke up to the realization that I still hurt...a lot...about people not realizing the ugliness that can happen in nice neighborhoods.  I was at church and they were talking about how we need to be careful how we raise our kids and teenagers but not one mention of the real horrors that face these kids every day.  Half or possibly more have already been sexually abused before they reach 12 years old.  They worry about appropriate dating to protect their kids not thinking about the viperous snakes that sneak through their defenses because they are a family friend or family member that hides behind closed doors and dark secrets.  Judy posted a link on her page that I read.
http://theprojectbyjudy.wordpress.com/2012/09/03/yahoo-sports-article-on-horse-therapy/
These are the lines that leaped off the page at me...

"The strength of survivors was crucial," says Talerico. "It allows people to be buoyed by the courage of others. There are more people inquiring as to what we do and how we do it. When this was on the forefront and people were saying, ‘No more, this is no longer a secret,' the ripple effect of that is incredible." 

I sat here and sobbed...I wanted to scream at these people that close their eyes to the pain in their own hearts and the hearts of their children because of the evil perpetuated by those that see children as easy, silent targets.  Men and women that use depression to hide their secret hurts and secret rage at a society that 'ssshhhhh' don't talk about sexual abuse.  I remember one person's shocked surprise when I said I was sexually abused as a child.  "Aren't you ashamed to admit that?"  The shame is not mine.  It belongs to the people that sexually abused me.  The shame is on the people that sexualize young children on commercials, music videos, and clothing stores.  The shame is on people that believe the victims are just a child, they will forget.  I did forget why but I never forgot the shame, the feeling of dirtiness.  Remembering was horrific and a relief because my own behavior finally made sense.  Today I will cry.  I don't know how to tackle something so big and so pervasive.  If there was a disease that attacked half of our children in this nation they would have walk-a-thons and an outcry for finding a cure.  But sexual abuse....SSssshhhhh, be quiet. 

8 comments:

mulderfan said...

Absolutely true. My own brother abused me, my younger brother, his daughter and made an attempt on my daughter. When he went after my daughter, my younger brother and I finally broke down and told our parents. We had previously kept silent to "protect" them. They insisted these were lies instigated by his ex-wife! When I protested, saying four of us couldn't be lying they simply refused to talk about it. Since his death, they have elevated him to saint-hood.

People make me sick! Do they really think if they don't talk about it, it will go away?

IMO The people who blame/shame the victim are a perverted as those who assaulted the innocent victim.

You have a right to be angry, Ruth!

Ruth said...

Thank you Mulderfan. I appreciate your support. Hugs.

Evan said...

Hi Ruth, I agree completely.

I think we need ways that make it easier for the victims to speak. I don't have many answers about how to do this.

Developing relationships deep enough so people can trust that we will listen to them.
I hope that the web is helping with this too.

These are the only ideas I have. Though I do think that things are improving - it is possible to talk about this now to a greater extent than was possible in my youth (I'm 53). The improvement is happening much too slowly.

I do think that with your blog you are making a contribution.

Ruth said...

Thanks Evan, I appreciate your ideas and encouragement.

Judith said...

Ruth, bravo for wanting to break the silence, not just for yourself but also the others suffering in silence. The evil that is protected should not be allowed to go unfettered.

Hugs & cry all you need to.

Ruth said...

Thanks for the hugs.

Unknown said...

It happened to me, too, Ruth.

It happens to 1/3 girls in Canada, 1/5 in boys . . . and those are the REPORTED sexual assaults - it's likely higher.

What did my parents do? Lie, never report it, and even interfere with the police investigation (according to the cops).

Sick.

Wanted to share this with everyone - it's a powerful website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YN_GQStLbM

Ruth said...

I never told most of what happened. The man went to prison for molesting someone else. The person that reported him was murdered. I blanked most of my memories to hide the time I spent with him. I remember only bits and pieces.

I am sorry it happened to you too. Like you said, it is under reported and some times not believed when it is reported. The video is powerful. If you go to the sight keep in mind that YouTube will suggest other sites of similar things many of which the small thumbnails may be triggering. Sometimes helping directly is too close for personal safety and mental health. I turned down a project because I would identify too closely with those they were trying to help. Thank you for sharing the link.