Thursday, November 1, 2012

In this together


10. Let go of the thoughts of separation

http://www.purposefairy.com/6661/change-your-life-through-the-art-of-self-mastery/

"We are all in this together and it’s our responsibility to help one another grow and evolve, and “If you can, help others; if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them.” Dalai Lama

This gave me plenty to think about.  One of the difficulties of depression is the overwhelming sense of isolation.  Alone in a dark cloud of hopelessness isolated in the world of deep depression I couldn't believe that anyone else felt as I did.  Counseling, healing and blogging taught me how interconnected everyone is, including me.  I was surprised by this since I felt what I did or did not do had little effect on those around me.  A few years ago, I learned how a brief encounter can have a profound affect.  I was walking through the grocery store when a young man approached me.  He started the conversation with, "You don't remember me..."  Good thing he started with that because I didn't remember him.  He went on to explain that in 8th grade he listened to me for 15 minutes on how to plan to become a computer animator on a career day.  I suggested to the students ways to plan high school classes and what they would need to do to be ready to enter an animation program in college.  He did as I suggested; he took the time to thank me because he was now in a college level animation course.  What I recommended helped him reach his goal.  I was stunned that 15 minutes of my time had such an impact.  I learned to be more careful as to what I say in 15 minutes.

I see you....
    

3 comments:

Anonymous said...


Hi Ruth,
How lovely to find that something you have said in the past has made such a difference to someones life in such a helpful and positive way.
Good for you!

xx Molly

mulderfan said...

Watching you grow and heal has had a great impact on me. It gave me hope.

Having you as a friend gives me even more. It gives me joy.

This weekend I have a student from 18 years ago coming to visit me with her partner. One student friend goes back over over 40 years and was at my wedding. I never realized what an impact my words had until after I retired and students started to "friend" me on FB.

Our childhood experiences stole our ability to believe in our own power. It's nice that we're both starting to get that back!

Ruth said...

Thanks Molly. The experience also gave me pause to think about what I say when I am not so positive.

mulderfan that is right back at you. Your friendship is a joy to me too. I look for your comments both here and on Facebook.