Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Anti bullying

 "Most of our obstacles would melt away
if, instead of cowering before them,
we should make up our minds
to walk boldly through them."
- Orison Swett Marden


Click Here For Success Tip # 086



http://notsalmon.com/happy-kids/

Bully shields do not exist, however bully detectors are in built. I was taught to ignore mine. My counselor reconnected it.  I am a Harry Potter fan so I thought about the sneakoscope that kept going off so Harry put it in a sock and buried it in the bottom of his trunk.  He believed it was broken not realizing that there was a sneaky rat in his room all along.  Ick-o-meters, sneakoscope are all in built detectors of boundary violations.  My counselor taught me to listen to the warning signals again.

KavinCoach carefully taught me to recognize and call all behaviors for what they were, emotional, social, or physical abuse.  In my opinion, calling someone a bully instead of an abuser is toning down what is actually happening.  For some reason, people take being a bully with a certain amount of pride.  Calling it abuse, suddenly they are no longer the tough guy bully but now the low life abuser.  Have you ever complained about someone's behavior and the person you talked to shrugged with a nonchalant, "They're just being a bully."  No big deal after all they are just a bully.  Unfortunately, it took murders and suicides to wake up the schools that it is NOT just being a bully, it is abuse.

The link above shares some of the statistics she recommends that the first step is to open conversation about bullying.  Explaining what it is.  I remember working at a junior high a couple of boys were pounding on the girls bathroom door to tease a girl that was in there.  I walked over and quietly asked if I needed to report them for sexual harassment.   They looked appalled, "Ewwed" in unison and took off for the playground.  Sometimes conversation of calling it what it is starts an awareness of what is happening but it is just the beginning. 

3 comments:

Judy said...

I like that: Call it what it is. Stop trying to water it down, smooth it over, relabel it so it's more acceptable... such a narcissistic thing to do...

Judith said...

I think that they are few and far between but bully shields do exist. It's in the people willing to speak out. My son has stood up for those who were afraid.

Ruth said...

I agree Judy, thanks for the comment.

Good point vicariousrising. I think you would like the picture of a soldier standing in front of a man and boy protecting them with the caption, "You know who the good guys are by where they place themselves."