Sunday, November 25, 2012

Having it all


"Having it all doesn’t mean having everything, all at once, all the time.
Having it all means taking yourself seriously.
It means knowing yourself well enough to find your purpose in life.  
It means knowing what needs to change when you sense that you’ve lost that purpose.  
It means having the faith to believe that change is possible and having the courage to make those changes." 
Marcus Buckingham, Find Your Strongest Life

I read this and thought wow this is a kind of 'Having it all' that I could set as a goal. Having it all when I was growing up for a woman was to have a perfect career, perfect husband and 2.5 perfect children. Years of tracking this taught me that climbing the ladder of success, people sometimes had their ladder against the wrong wall. If someone claims they have a perfect husband, they are either just married or delusional. I always wondered how you had .5 children. I also rapidly discovered that children are born messy and life goes down hill from there. As far as being perfect, pfft...I read Flylady's tirades about the evils of perfection and perfectionism with glee.  http://www.flylady.net/d/br/2012/05/07/ever-changing-goals-of-perfectionism/
Marcus's description of Having it all looks like something I can do with all my imperfections of an imperfect career, imperfect husband and 6 amazing imperfect children.   My daughter teaches me Zumba and encourages me to dance imperfectly.  Moving imperfectly means I am still moving.  Dancing imperfectly means I am still dancing.  Life to me is much more about adapting to imperfections than ever achieving that ever allusive 100% that keeps getting changed.  Part of adapting to imperfections is sometimes walking way from those things that are harmful, hurtful, and unhealthy in my life.  Adapting to imperfections does not mean I allow my basic rights as a human being to be violated.  Healthy boundaries are flexible and breathable and imperfect.  I have Marcus Buckingham's book.  I think for Christmas as a gift from myself, I am going to read it. 

1 comment:

Judith said...

Lol. I've been doing a bunch of imperfect dancing lately. It feel marvelous.