Sunday, August 25, 2013

My Sister's Motto

My sister and I go walking on Saturday mornings.  I jokingly call our time 'Sisters Therapy.'  We talk about everything and anything.  My sister and I worked hard to develop this kind of relationship.  When I started counseling, I talked about how I had no memories of my childhood.  My sister started talking to me...she had been angry with me, wondering how I could behave as if nothing happened.  She didn't know until then that my memories were gone.  We started slowly talking about things that I could remember.  We worked at not allowing what our parents said to compare us to come between us we made it a non-issue.  I admire my sister and the work she put in to become healthier.  One of the things she worked on this year was to develop a motto to live by.  A short sentence that is easy to remember, she decided on "I belong to God."  I listened to her as she developed the idea and the power it has to over come her negative tape.  Recently, she shared the whole concept on her blog.  Tears came to my eyes as I saw the completed picture.  She posted it on her author's blog of Laurel Hawkes:

http://laurelhawkes.blogspot.com/2013/08/i-belong-to-god.html

The part the impressed me so much is her clear understanding that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we belong to him...already paid for.  His sacrifice paid the ransom...up to us if we accept Him as our Savior and Master.  His love for us he gave all that he is for us.  I believe that I belong to God. 



1 comment:

Judith said...

I'm in awe of the relationship you and your sister have built. I wish my sister was less enmeshed with our parents so that we could do something similar, but I think she's fairly "content" with things. I pit that in quotes because my sister has taken on a lot of histrionic personality as a response to our childhoods, and she likes to make mountains over molehills, which I find hard to deal with as I prefer solutions to drama.