Saturday, August 17, 2013

Nerds

Last night I knew I needed to write a blog and my mind just refused to cooperate.  I played mindless computer games and spent some time visiting with my daughter.  Today, I sat down to write an wandered over to facebook and viola, inspiration of the very best kind.  I want to share a link to a page that brought smiles to my face and waves of self-acceptance...

http://coolpicsbro.com/post/30056

Wil Weathon Explains Why Being a Nerd is Awesome.  I hope the page is left up for a very long time so many other nerds can read it.

I discovered I was a nerd years ago.  I was hired by a junior high school (middle school) to take care of their computers.  I felt overwhelmed so read computer books. (Yes, I read the book that says read me first and the licenses that everybody says yes to....did you know that you can't take your computer to some countries?  Weird stuff in those.) In one of the books I found a page on how to take care of your nerd.  By the end of the page, I realized I was a nerd.  I bought a t-shirt that had a computer with children around it.  On the computer screen I wrote, Resident Nerd.  A student asked me why I would want to be known as a nerd.  At the time I received an email that I thought he would understand.


http://www.thisblogrules.com/2010/07/michael-jordan-vs-bill-gates.html

Michael Jordan having 'retired,' with $40 million in
endorsements, makes $178,100 a day, working or not.

If he sleeps 7 hours a night, he makes $52,000 every
night while visions of sugarplums dance in his head.

If he goes to see a movie, it'll cost him $7.00, but
he'll make $18,550 while he's there.

If he decides to have a 5-minute egg, he'll make
$618 while boiling it.

He makes $7,415/hour more than minimum wage.

If he wanted to save up for a new Acura NSX
($90,000) it would take him a whole 12 hours.

If someone were to hand him his salary and
endorsement money, they would have to do it
at the rate of $2.00 every second.

He'll probably pay around $200 for a nice round
of golf, but will be reimbursed $33,390 for
that round.

He'll make about $19.60 while watching the 100- meter dash in the
Olympics, and about
$15,600 during the Boston Marathon .

This year, he'll make more than twice as much
as all U.S. Past presidents for all of their
terms combined.

Amazing isn't it?

However...
If Jordan saves 100% of his income for the next
500 years, he'll still have less than Bill Gates has
at this very moment.

Game over. Nerd wins .....  


Today's article reminded me the difference is I really love fixing computers....I love weird stuff.  It is fun for me to read about science....English is my second language, math is my first.....and that is OK!!!!!!  












1 comment:

Ellen said...

I really enjoyed these photos Ruth, and the sequencing is so interesting also.