Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Observing People



http://www.dailyliteraryquote.com/



Also when they mess up on a big project.  I spent over a week on a big project for school.  I checked and rechecked before printing 400+ pages.  I forgot to double check room numbers and printed all of these with an incorrect room number.  I watched TV and made corrections for hours last night.  I am tired but relieved this morning.  I remember the hysterics my NM would go through over the slightest error then the never ending lectures on NEVER making that mistake again.  When I started counseling over 10 years ago I remember the melt downs over the slightest mistake.  I have made progress.  No melt down, no hysterics, no anger, just acceptance that I made a mistake that would take a few hours to correct but it was not a big issue to me.  I like the person I am becoming.  I like that my only thought was how do I correct this.  I like that I felt so calm.  Such a change from what I was taught to do.  Enjoy your day. :)

6 comments:

mulderfan said...

Good for you! Narcs tend to "catastrophize" everything and their children often pick up on this trait. When I speak, as I'm doing tonight, I explain that when the washing machine broke down I used to think it was a sign that the world was out to get me and the only luck I had was bad! These days it just means: the washing machine broke down.

Judith said...

Love this quote. So true! My mother gets freaked out by all sorts of inconsequential things.

Anonymous said...

Hello Ruth, Your post today made me think of something my son said recently. Like you he also works with computers in a school and after a very frustrating day he came home and said "There ain't nothing I can't fix 'cause I can always do it through a lengthy process of trial and error." It made me smile but I also thought, ‘I wish my mother had instilled that in me’.

I love your determination. Thank you for all your inspiring posts. xx Molly

Ruth said...

mulderfan you called it right - "catastrophize". The weird thing for me is the minor errors were disasters but real disaters were minimized or denied. Just crazy.

Ruth said...

vicariousrising you are not alone.

Molly thanks for your encouragement. Sounds like you instilled it in your son. Good for you.

TR said...

That is wonderful! Great quote! xxoo TR