Monday, August 12, 2013

Abuse, Guilt and Shame

People who were sexually abused as children grow up feeling a lot of fear, guilt & shame. What they need to understand is that all these emotions more rightly belong to the perpetrator of the abuse, as opposed to the one who experienced it. Those who lived through childhood sexual abuse also feel concerned that they'll hurt people if they bring to light what happened. Again, if anyone is hurt by the revelations, it's the fault of the perpetrator. It's tragic that because of the natural tendency of children to take what happens to them personally, they absorb the negativity of those who abused them. It's time for all of those who went through such abuse to see that they are guiltless & should feel no shame or sense of responsibility for anything having to do with the tragic events that they experienced.
I decided to write my book and start this blog and I made the commitment to share openly that I was sexually abused as young as 5 years old.  A lot of soul searching and discussion with KavinCoach and then I took my decision to the Lord in prayer.  I felt strongly that I needed to speak up.  No more secrets.  I tested out my choices with a few people.  I was stunned when someone told me that I should feel shame for what happened.  I was 5 years old, why should I feel shame?  I don't know what happened in my mind but there was a sudden shift like an internal earthquake then boiling hot rage erupted in my mind.  How dare this person suggest that I have something to be ashamed of?  How dare they imply that a five year old child wanted to be used as a thing with no understanding of what was happening.  But these feelings of guilt and shame surfaced over and over and over.  It was like the perpetrator sunk these hooks deep into my soul to continue to torture me long after he was dead.  Though I had a moment of crystallized understanding, I needed to remind myself over and over and over again that these feelings of guilt, shame, dirtiness, responsibility for what happened were false feelings projected on to me from the perpetrator.  Not only did he abuse my body, he also abused my mind and soul.  I read somewhere that sexual abuse is also called 'soul murder.'  I survived by splitting off the horrors to a separate part.  There was the part of me that continued to grow up and there was a part that stayed frozen in time sealing off the secrets.  Splitting was how I survived.  Integration required releasing my secrets.  Learning to love myself is helping to totally release the shame that never belonged to me in the first place.

7 comments:

mulderfan said...

People who blame/shame the victim create an atmosphere for abuse to continue. It is they who should feel shame.

I;m glad you had help and faith to recover in spite of them Ruth.

Ruth said...

Thank you.

Evan said...

Excellent that you felt rage.

The person who said that to you is disgusting - and I speculate about what may have happened to them.

Blaming and shaming the victim is despicable behaviour.

All the congratulations possible for speaking up and not let the abuser control what you do or how you feel.

Tundra Woman said...

I'm furious for you, Ruth. I once opened up just a very little bit-a Trial Balloon, so to speak-about my history of childhood abuse to a friend whom I had known for 20+ yrs. At the time, they appeared receptive but I did not reveal anymore than a general statement or two with no explicit details. They filed it away and then used it later to intentionally hurt me: This was *no* "misunderstanding." Needless to say, they were immediately expelled from my "Friendship" category and I've blocked them from my life in every way.
No child is ever responsible for abuse perpetrated on them by ANYONE. I understand that others may not "get it" and that's fine: Blaming the victim never is under any circumstances.
I'm so sorry, Ruth. It's such a painful way to discern who is truly a friend we can trust and who doesn't deserve the gift of our friendship. Kudos to you for allowing your understanding of the insidious nature of abuse to guide your response.
I'm just so sorry this event took place at all! I found my rage can be a phenomenal motivator and a great reminder that my boundaries are self-respect in action.
TW

Ruth said...

I like the idea that boundaries are self respect in action. Thanks for your support TW.

TR said...

Thank you for sharing your story; your courage is inspiring. Hugs

Ruth said...

Your welcome TR I am thankful you find my sharing helpful. I appreciate you telling me.