Friday, October 25, 2013

Flipping Statements

As a teenager, I had a summer job of teaching swimming.  One of the things I learned from my boss was that when a child is running around the pool if you holler, "Don't RUN."  The only thing the child hears is "RUN."  If I wanted a child to stop running using a loud, but not screaming voice, shout "WALK."  Working through the list of 10 things to must give up to move forward what would the list look like if I flipped the statement to 10 things to do to move forward.

1.  Decide for myself what I value and choose to do it.
2.  Forgive myself.
3.  Make a choice and have faith in that choice.
4.  Work on the goals that matter to me.
5.  Choose to act.
6.  Be teachable, or another way, cultivate humility.
7.  Stand my ground when facing a problem and change what I can.
8.  Review my reasons then make a decision that works for me.
9.  See my strengths and use them.
10. Look at my world with gratitude.

This is a list that I could use for months to focus on each one and incorporate into my own life.  I am seeing a few that I need to start on immediately, some I am already working on. Yup, I prefer to flip the statements.  I noticed that when I am told to stop doing something it may work temporarily but I then revert to how I always did what I have done.  However, if I teach myself to act in a new way the old habits fall away.  I like who I have become and I love myself enough not to leave myself this way.

I am here. 



No comments: