Wednesday, October 9, 2013

One step forward...

"Long-range goals keep you from being
frustrated by short-term failures."
- James Cash Penney
 


2 back...sounds like a Cha-Cha to me.  Many problems seem to reappear over and over and over....sometimes they never go away in the first place.  If I focus on just the one problem, I feel discouraged and out of sorts.  Humans don't deal with one problem at a time.  A whole slew of things bombard us every day. Waking up is the first challenge.  Feet hitting the ground and pain is there.  Open the bottle of medication, a daily reminder of yet another problem.  Then head for the kitchen for more decisions and challenges if trying to loose weight.  I can make 100 good choices in a day then focus on one mistake.  Agonize over that one thing until all the good choices fade while focusing on one issue.  Sometimes this is important.  When I worked as a computer tech this ability to hyper-focus on one issue is a real asset; however, for living day to day I can get bogged down and feel frustrated that I am not making progress because I am focused on one problem.  I don't get an F for the day with one error.  Reviewing long range goals I keep myself headed in the right direction.  I might zig and zag or have set backs but I can keep progressing in the general direction I want to go.  My friend mulderfan reminds me "Progress not perfection." 

No comments: