Wednesday, October 23, 2013

See the positive


"I have learned that the greater part of our misery or unhappiness is determined not by our circumstance but by our disposition."
- Martha Washington

Click Here For Success Tip # 062


Ironically in an effort of improving myself I caused part of my own depression since all I saw was the mistakes I was looking for. KavinCoach spent considerable amount of time teaching me to see the positive in myself and my life. It wasn't all bad. #9 of the things I must give up to move forward by Marc, I must give up overlooking the positive points in my life.  The pitfall of self improvement is I focus on my short comings.  KavinCoach and MyCounselor both encouraged me to take a full inventory of my strengths.
 I remember a story that illustrates that I'll find what I look for:

The Two Travelers and the Farmer

North America

A traveler came upon an old farmer hoeing in his field beside the road. Eager to rest his feet, the wanderer hailed the countryman, who seemed happy enough to straighten his back and talk for a moment. "What sort of people live in the next town?" asked the stranger.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer, answering the question with another question.
"They were a bad lot. Troublemakers all, and lazy too. The most selfish people in the world, and not a one of them to be trusted. I'm happy to be leaving the scoundrels."
"Is that so?" replied the old farmer. "Well, I'm afraid that you'll find the same sort in the next town.
Disappointed, the traveler trudged on his way, and the farmer returned to his work.
Some time later another stranger, coming from the same direction, hailed the farmer, and they stopped to talk. "What sort of people live in the next town?" he asked.
"What were the people like where you've come from?" replied the farmer once again.
"They were the best people in the world. Hard working, honest, and friendly. I'm sorry to be leaving them."
"Fear not," said the farmer. "You'll find the same sort in the next town."
 http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/traveltales.html

 If flaws in myself is what I look for than it is what I will find.  Part of moving forward and thriving is not just an exercise in eliminating flaws but in building strengths.   I am working on several books right now all talking about recognizing and using my strengths to create the life that I dreamed of.  These books are actually very challenging to read.  I read them slowly.  I read a little and then try to fit the ideas into my life.  A basic step KavinCoach taught me is: "I am a good person." 


No comments: