Thursday, October 24, 2013

Savor

We are not held back by the love we didn't receive in the past, but by the love we're not extending in the present.  Marianne Williamson


Finally, #10 of the 10 things I must give up to move forward; I must stop not appreciating the present moment... not acknowledging the good that is happening right now.   Worry about a big project I want to do in the future can rob me of the joy of the moment now.  Acknowledging and mourning my past was essential to bring closure to my past.  Continuing to look over my shoulder with regret and longing will do nothing to change today.  J. K. Rowling included scenes of Harry staring into the Mirror of Erised.  This is the link to Dumbledor's explanation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn7cR_8_vAg
This scene describes so well the lost time to longing so much for the past or future events that the time for living is lost.  One of the things I am learning to do is savoring...usually associated with eating.  One of the many tips that helps me as I change my eating habits is not rushing through my meal but savoring the taste, texture and flavor of what I am eating.  Be present while I munch my lunch instead of worrying about what I need to accomplish afterwards.  If the afternoon is already planned, stressing over the next activities robs me of the moment to savor and be aware of what I am eating for lunch. 

The word savor is often associated with food but the definition I am choosing to emphasize is
3. To appreciate fully; enjoy or relish: I want to savor this great moment of accomplishment.
 
 
Can you imagine a day of enjoying and savoring each moment?  Perhaps difficult to imagine during rush hour traffic.  However, I am taking it as a challenge to savor the time I have to think alone in my car.  I am also becoming more aware of the drivers around me.  Can you imagine spotting a bobbing dandelion being blown around by the traffic next to a road?  Its simple determination to survive and thrive in a hostile environment.  A facebook post that makes me laugh, a nudge by my kitty for extra pats, a reminder while exercising to breath....savoring each moment....




No comments: