Saturday, March 28, 2020

Do you believe?

I was once asked by a student if I believe in miracles.  I was cautious.  I've experienced religious persecution before and my job was a bit iffy about any type of religious conversation.  I inquired if he actually wanted to know.  He told me in all seriousness, "Yes,"  I looked at him steadily and replied, "I don't just believe in them, I depend on them."  My survival was miracle.  I experienced so many miracles I doubt I could name a fraction of them.  From near misses on the freeway to heavenly intervention with illness I experienced many miracles and continue to do so. 

Tomorrow, or today for those that are already in Sunday, many faiths are asking for a World day of fasting in prayer.  My prayer is for those impacted by the illness or the fear that illness generated.  I pray for those that lost their jobs, closed their business, on the front lines of defense.  I pray for doctors, nurses, ER workers, ambulance drivers, police officers, fire people, grocers, cashiers and any one else with first exposure.  I pray for those that are  so afraid, unprepared, or distressed by the social distancing.  Those that are now in harms way because they needed a place to stay.  I pray for those that have no place to stay and no one that cares what happens to them.  I pray for World and National leaders to set aside their differences and put their energy into solutions instead of manipulation.  I pray for the students that are trying to continue to learn in a totally new environment.  I pray for the students that do not have access to the online resources.  I believe in prayer but I also accept that my solution is not always the best solution. 

I like my daughter's analogy of juicing an orange we expect orange juice to come out of it.  Lemon has lemon juice and grapes have grape juice.  We don't always know what is inside of people.  When the pressure is on what is inside of them comes out whether it is kindness and serenity or fear and bitterness.  I hope that I am sharing kindness and the peace that I am feeling as events unfold. 

I like Mr. Roger's mother's quote, "In the time of crisis, you can always look for the helpers." This kind gentle man was one of those people that not only helped children with his Mr. Roger's neighborhood, he helped children in his life off of the screen.  He became one of those helpers.  I pray for the helpers and we may see them and acknowledge them.  I pray for comfort and peace. 

No comments: