Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Snowball Effect

One of the things I notice I do is lump things all together to create monstrous snowballs that seem to fill my vision and convince me the task of thriving is impossible.  PTSD is a big problem but some times I add ordinary problems to the PTSD lump and create more limitations than really exist.  Making and keeping resolutions seemed hopeless before integration since each personality had their own agenda.  After integration I didn't improve so I chalked it up to PTSD.  This year I have sat back and re-evaluted the whole process of setting goals, making resolutions (New Years or otherwise) and how to keep them. Like anything else if I don't know something I look around at what other people wrote on the idea.  This year my inspiration came from other bloggers and my awesome sister.

Deena collected a bunch of New Year resolutions quotes and posted them on her sight:
http://deenar116.wordpress.com/2010/12/29/wednesday-witticisms-new-year-resolutions/

I think that one that caught my attention most was the one by Unknown  ~

A New Year’s resolution is something that goes in one year and out the other.  

I am not special in my struggle to make and keep New Year resolutions.  I am realizing that I need to stop snowballing PTSD with struggles with resolutions.  Different problems require different solutions.  

The next blogger that added her insight was Simply Diane.  I enjoy her insights and humor.  Check out her suggestion of choosing 3 words to guide your year:

I think her idea to use single words as guidelines gives the latitude needed to cope with what each year can toss at you.  

The third suggestion comes from my awesome sister.  We enjoy walking and talking about all sorts of things.  She decided a while ago that each new year she would give gifts to herself that would effect the next year.  One of the gifts she talked about was the gift of "improved health."  Experiencing life long health problems do not give her the option of perfect health but she decided that she could improve what she could and strengthen her body.  This past year I have noticed an improvement.  Several years ago, we both nearly collapsed doing the 5K Komen Race for the Cure walk.  Now, I am hard pressed to keep up with her for any 5 K walk.  I am impressed by her improvement and the concept of giving a gift to myself.    

After thinking about all the possibilities, recognizing my own major problems and challenges, and looking forward to a year of smiling, dancing, singing and laughing the year has some real possibilities. I think for the next couple of days I am going to ponder which gifts I want to give to myself in this New and Wonderful year of 2011.  

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

At AA meetings we recite the 1st part of the Serenity Prayer, but the entire prayer is even more helpful when we're feeling overwhelmed.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

~Reinhold Niebuhr

Ruth said...

This is one of my favorite prayers. Thank you for sharing mulderfan.