Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Comments at upsi's

I wasn't sure what I would write today.  One of my fellow bloggers upsi (http://upsi-upsi.blogspot.com/2011/03/proof.html) experienced the unpleasantness of an extremely rude comments on her page.  She didn't have to post what this person had written.  She has chosen to be open and let people speak their minds, even when comments are hurtful.  Her whole basis of her blog is to be honest in an environment that demands that the surface image is the only thing that counts.  The term used by psychologists is narcissistic.  I was able to relate easily to her blog since she wrote about her narcissistic mother that sounded almost identical to mine.  More importantly than that is upsi talks about respect, honesty, consideration, and great information on how people should treat each other.  I learn a lot every time I visit her page.  I learn how to show respect to my adult children.  I learn that some behaviors are not OK coming from a MOM.  To me that is the most important role I play in life.  I want to do a better job than how I was taught.  I have floundered along the best I could.  I had a counselor that went a long ways to teaching me how to behave like a healthy person.  upsi has helped in this teaching process to show me what parental respect should look like, sound like, and act like.  I am reading carefully and learning what I can do as a mother to be more considerate of my adult children (I wish there was a better word to describe my kids that are adults now, any suggestions would be welcomed.)  I am thankful for her willingness to share in her quest for respect as an adult.  My children are reaping the benefit.  Thanks upsi ~ you make a positive difference to me.    

4 comments:

mulderfan said...

Amen, Ruth!

insi said...

Ruth - Likewise, I learn so much from you about what a real desire to grow as a mother looks like. Big hugs, we're learning everyday.

xo
upsi

Laurel Hawkes said...

Adding my thanks, too.

Your children will always be your children, just as you'll always be their mom. Maybe you can add AC as one of your definitions. After all, they are cool. :-)

said...

I am loving this little supportive community...I admire both you Ruth & Upsi..many thanks xx