Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Garbage needs to go out!

I am about half way through the book Law of the Garbage Truck.  In some ways, it is awesome.  I have found driving during rush hour almost pleasant.  I am learning to not allow some things to upset me.  This week I figured out the one thing that left me concerned with the concept of letting the Garbage pass you by.  Sometimes you need to take out the garbage.  One of upsi's readers suggested she just ignore rude comments from an uniformed reader.  I have learned that ignoring some of these rude comments is agreement by silence.  Sometimes there is a need to say, "This is GARBAGE.  It is not OK to behave this way.  I am not accepting your standards.  I am not agreeing with your opinion.  Take this garbage out of here!"  Then I am back to the Serenity Prayer:


Serenity Prayer

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change;
The courage to change the things I can;
And wisdom to know the difference.

Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life and 

     supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.

~Reinhold Niebuhr   


Thank you to the other bloggers I read that teach me what is garbage and what is not.  When you are raised in a dumpster, it is hard to know what is the garbage. 

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

Yep, the Ns in my life trained me from birth to accept their garbage and keep quiet. You're right, Ruth, keeping quiet or looking the other way enables them to continue.

As a child, it was pretty much impossible to do anything else but as an adult we have the power to call them on their garbage.

Great post, thanks!

OneAngryDaughter said...

Thanks Ruth - I really, really needed that just now :)

Laurel Hawkes said...

Excellent points! And love the complete prayer.

Sober Julie said...

Hey Ruth,
I've come to your blog through your comment to me on Band Back Together in response Serenity Prayer....God guides us indeed!!!!

Ruth said...

Welcome Sober Julie. Drop in any time. You can search past post on the front page. If you wish you can send a comment with a message and ask me not to post it. I am also open to questions. Have a great day, Ruth
PS Band Back Together is an amazing space.