Sunday, March 6, 2011

Interesting Phrase

To belittle is to be little.

I came across this phrase in one of my emails or widgets.  I made the mistake of not copying the source so now I don’t remember.  But I have heard it many different places.  It is one of those catchy phrases that makes you think about the meaning of a word.  Belittling was a tool used often in my childhood.  I knew whatever success I may achieve there was someone that would tell me that it had no value.  Usually that someone was in my family.  I puzzled over this desire to belittle or 'make small' someone you are supposed to love.  When I was a teenager I used the same tactic to "cut someone down to size."  I realized then that the only thing it did was show how small I was.  I sometimes struggle at not making cutting remarks since it was just about ingrained in me.   But I have taken the challenge to remove all remarks that put down, make less, or tell someone that what they did or who they are is not important. 

I decided to google the dictionary meaning and this is a quick summary:
minimize: cause to seem less serious; play down; "Don't belittle his influence"
disparage: express a negative opinion of; "She disparaged her student's efforts"
diminish: lessen the authority, dignity, or reputation of; "don't belittle your colleagues"
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn
To knowingly say that something is smaller or less important than it actually is
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/belittle
denigration: a belittling comment 
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

I learned the hard way what this does to a person.  One of the biggest challenges KavinCoach had was to convince me that I had value and worth.  I've come a long way.  I will continue my goal to see the value and worth of each person I meet everyday.

No comments: