Friday, March 11, 2011

Lessons learned

I wrote down what I wanted to say in my counseling session.  My new counselor thought my points were good ones.  So what happened?  I talked about my childhood and the massive impact it had on my life, my faith in Christ, and told new counselor things that only 2 other people know.  I was physically wiped out by the massive drain it was to tell the story for the second time.  There are some things that do not get easier with telling.  Some memories that are so dark that the emotional distress of remembering causes physical pain.  Through it all, I believe that Christ is my Savior.  Suffering is not prevented but all suffering can be healed.  Christ knew where I was in my darkest hours.   He knows my pain for He has suffered it.  He knows my sorrow for He has felt it.  He knew where I hid in my shame, He drew me out and taught me to forgive myself since I was a child and did nothing wrong.  The first time I told was to KavinCoach before integration.  I couldn't cope any other way than nearly passing out and switching personalities.  KavinCoach gently led me through the ordeal, continually reassuring me that I was not at fault.  This time I knew what to do.  I called up my darling daughter-in-law with an excuse that I wanted to bring some plants I had bought for her.  I spent the rest of the evening in a loving home, listening to scriptures being read, childish 5 year old tantrums lovingly soothed, gentle conversation that soothed my battered heart.  I can not change my past.  More and more each day it is totally loosing its grip on me.  Some day ~ I may actually be able to tell the story without wrenching fear tearing at my heart because I told.  Today, I can feel peace.     

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

So glad that you have your faith to help you work through the pain. So proud that you have the courage to confront your demons.

For most of my life I had nightmares that told me something had happened but I didn't know what it was. I worked with a psychiatrist for three years to fully uncover the memory. The first time the memory I had buried came rushing back I was physically ill on the way home. Even then the nightmares continued.

When my abuser was killed in an accident the dreams stopped and never returned. The 1st night I dreamed instead of a white horse that grew wings and flew away. I researched the image of a white horse with wings...it represents freedom.

Now I think of myself as the white horse. Not sure where this is from: "The truth shall set you free."

Ruth said...

For me it is butterflies, fairies, angels, dragonflies, anything with wings. I like the white horse with wings imagery. I can see you riding one with a sword of truth. My sister adds a part to the quote:
"The truth shall set you free, but first it will make you really miserable."

According to Ask.com the quote is from Jesus:"Jesus said "...you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_Said_The_Truth_Shall_set_you_Free#ixzz1GOL7s1RE

Ruth said...

Found this in my Quotes widget this morning. Thanks mulderfan for teaching me to be more aware of Buddha's teachings.
"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
Buddha

Read more: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/buddha.html#ixzz1GOO6Cu5n

Today I will concentrate on the present moment. I have a beautiful day planned. Enjoy.