Saturday, May 28, 2011

20/80 Rule

Have you heard of the 20/80 Rule?



 The rule that states:
The Pareto principle (also known as the 80-20 rule, the law of the vital few, and the principle of factor sparsity) states that, for many events, roughly 80% of the effects come from 20% of the causes.


I spend 80% of my time on things that matter the least.  And 20% of my time on things that matter most.  Yet when I try to switch this ratio things don't go well.  It is like that 80% is prep time for the 20%.

Yesterday I spent with my daughters and friends.  80% of the conversation was just that, conversation.  But 20% we really connected.  It was like the 80% built a basis for the 20%

I have seen people try to switch this ratio with disastrous results.  By trying to maximize their efforts they actually do less.  I watched my NM pushing for efficiency with her time and would multi-task while talking to me.  What came across was not that she was maximizing her time but I felt she wasn't interested in talking to me.  I decide that sitting down to listen to my kids would take more time but in the end that 80% effort listening to things that were least important paid off because when they were ready to talk about the important 20%, I already established that I would listen. 

I also realized I would do this myself.  In counseling, I start out talking about less important issues.  Only about 20% of my session is really spent on the most important problems.  It seems like if I feel like the least important is rushed through or ignored, then I won't open up about the other 20%. 

This rule in life I don't think is man made.  I think nature has a rhythm of ratios that allow us to work up to the hard stuff without needing to jump right in.  Some how a day jammed pack with the most important stuff leaves me totally exhausted but if I pace myself then I see better results. 

Have you seen this 20/80 rule at work in your life?



4 comments:

mulderfan said...

I'll have to observe then ponder this one, Ruth. It's a new concept for me. Interesting though!

Laurel Hawkes said...

I grew up thinking I didn't know how to do "weather" conversations. Then I heard this quote:"If you can’t talk about the things that don’t matter, then you can never talk about the things that do matter." So I practiced small talk, and what a HUGE difference it makes.

I used to think that if I wasn't actively doing something, then I was wasting time. In my writing, it's when I'm not actively writing that I plot and plan and process. Without it, I can't write a word.

OneAngryDaughter said...

I like the way you presented this. I'm familiar with pareto - but in the work sense (80% of the problems caused by 20% of the defects). Its true - it applies to many areas of life.

I like how you put that not all the effort gets a payoff - but the 20% that does is well worth it.

nolongerrunning said...

Very interesting! I like the way you put that, and I think you're quite right! I have noticed similar things in my own life.

Laurel, I'm a writer too and I find that - for instance - going out for a long walk when I have a deadline coming up isn't a waste of time at all. Clearing my mind and allowing it to wander helps me create a decent story in the end.