Monday, May 23, 2011

I can do this

I think I finally figured out what is going inside my head.  I reviewed my surviving cancer.  I have thought about finishing my bachelors degree.  I thought about my photography show about my cancer experience.  I realized that I am feeling intimidated by my plans for the summer.  There have been plenty of times I have spent months spinning my wheels not getting done the things I need to do.  I realized I am trying to reprogram my mind and my heart to believe that I can accomplish those things that are most important.  Baby blankets for my pregnant daughter and daughter-in-law.  Babysitting grandkids.  Visiting families that live far away.  Taking care of me. 

Taking care of me is the hardest one in the list.  From the time I was small and my earliest memories are being taught to take care of my younger sister, brother, and mother.  I am good at taking care of someone else.  I am really bad at taking care of myself.  The first thing I needed to learn is that I have rights as a human being.  I encountered the concept from several sources.  KavinCoach helped me to write my own 'Bill of rights.'

I have the right...Written in January 2010


I have the right to be treated with respect when I earn it.  I am also aware that some people treat me with respect because they respect people.  Other people I can not earn their respect because a prejudice exists that has nothing to do with my behavior.

I have the right not to take responsibility for anyone else's problems or bad behavior. I choose to take an interest in my spouse and children.  I can suggest, persuade, encourage and love them but ultimately they are responsible for their own adult behavior.

I have the right to feel emotions - anger, excitement, sad, glad, afraid, courageous, etc. and the responsibility to accept the consequences of any actions brought about by those emotions.

I have the right to say no.  When I say "yes" to one thing I inherently often have to say "yes or no" to something else that is not always obvious.  I am aware that saying "no" in some situations may damage a relationship and have far reaching consequences.  I also need to keep in mind that I have a limited amount of time and energy. 

I have the right to make mistakes and the responsibility to take the consequences for those mistakes.

I have the right to my opinions and convictions.  Just because I have them does not mean I should always state them.  Sometimes the best reply is silence but I need to keep in mind that with some people silence means agreement.  The art of disagreeing without being disagreeable is on going training.

I have the right to determine when someone is yelling at me or not.  I am aware that I am hypersensitive to negative reactions but if I feel someone is yelling at me, I will respond that way.

I have the right to change my mind and the responsibility to take the consequences.  Sometime I need to take more time to begin with to make a decision.  I recognize that I take time to think through information and a hasty decision can result in a need for me to change my mind later.  Sometimes I make a decision with the best information I have available at the time.  New information may require a change in course.

I have the right to ask for emotional support or help.  I have the responsibility to work on things myself.  Learned helplessness is as unhealthy as never reaching out to anyone.

I have the right to negotiate for change. The responsibility to express myself to the other person.  The other person can not read my mind.

I have the right to protest what I believe to be unfair treatment or criticism.  Being defensive can sometimes make a situation worse.  In protesting unfair treatment I need to keep in mind who I am talking to.  Some people are not healthy enough to engage in this type of conversation.

I have the right to have friends. I have the responsibility to recognize that friends take time and energy which I have a limited supply.

I have the right to ignore advice.  I have the responsibility to take the consequences of ignoring that advice.  I recognize that the source should be considered when I am considering someone else's advice.

I have the right to take breaks, such as going to the bathroom before a job is done or 15 minute breaks that can be beneficial when working on large projects.

I have the right to throw away or give away things that I no longer want or need.

I have the right to lock the doors or not lock them depending on how I feel at the time.

I have the right to have extra food in the house.

I can add to this list when ever I feel the need.

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

Great list! Good strategy to take it out and review/renew it on a regular basis.

Take care of YOURSELF, Ruth!

Shaun said...

This is actually a really good exercise to go through, Ruth. I may end up doing it for myself. It looks like it's a good idea to take it out and review it often, too (the Bill of Rights, that is!)

It sounds like I share this "problem" of getting overwhelmed with "tasks" with you. It happens with chores, school work, job work, etc. I see how much I need to get done, I start to despair, then I get angry, then I shut down... I hate that I do this.

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan, you really do make a good mum. I appreciate your encouragement.

Shaun, I so recognize the cycle. I am learning baby steps, stop trying to do things perfectly, and now working on stopping the negative tapes in my head. Recognizing and learning my human rights is a huge step for me and a great exercise. My counselor helped quite a bit in recognizing what they are. You can learn to do things differently too.

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking I may need to borrow this. ~Judy

Ruth said...

Judy go for it. Mine is edited from the original. I added some and changed wording in others to fit my situation, personality, and experiences.