Monday, May 9, 2011

Greater problems

Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.
Albert Einstein
 Survived another Mother's Day.  My own kids are awesome.  Their sweet messages were awesome.  I love that part.  I stayed up all night the night before as I had my own little pity party that I can never have a relationship with my mother.  She lives not far away yet we may as well be on different planets.  Then I read other people's struggles with their mothers, you know, I read about plenty that have greater problems than mine.  Old Al had it right.  No matter how crummy things are eventually you will encounter someone with worse problems.  I read back over emails from last Mother's Day and the year before.  Same problem year after year.  I am mourning the fact that my mother chose to live in a fantasy world of lies rather than face the challenges of really living and connecting with her family.  Sadness I feel acts like a dark shadow that at mother's day brews like a threatening storm.  Then I remind myself, I am a mother and grandmother.  The relationships I have with my children are the ones that count.  I appreciate each one and I'm so happy as each form their own families.  I watch their love for each other and my heart swells.  One of my daughters mentioned the fringe benefits of grandkids.  I smile just thinking about these charming little people that joined our family.  I enjoy watching their parents struggle and worry about some of the same things I did.  I feel so blessed.  Maybe one night a year feeling sad is OK.  The rest of the year I will rejoice.

2 comments:

mulderfan said...

Sorry you had a rough night Ruth.

I actually forgot it was Mother's Day until my DD asked if I would mind if her BF spent the day with us Sunday.

"Why would do you ask?" I replied, as he spends most weekends here. "Because it's Mother's Day." she answered!

Oops! that's how I remembered to make a quick call to my NM!

You'll get there one day soon, Ruth.

Ruth said...

Thanks mulderfan.