Sunday, August 14, 2011

Broken Dreams

Pearl S. BuckThere are many ways of breaking a heart. Stories were full of hearts broken by love, but what really broke a heart was taking away its dream - whatever that dream might be.
Pearl S. Buck

I had talked to KavinCoach for 7 years when he asked me about my dreams.  I didn't tell him for weeks.  I learned through tough lessons if you don't tell your dreams then someone else can't destroy them.  I almost gave up completely on my dreams.  Something inside dies when dreams are lost.  The shell lives on.  It is called surviving.  There are people through out the world that dreams have turned to nightmares.  Hanging on to dreams is tough.  There are people through out the world that never had dreams in the first place.  To have a dream then to watch it be destroyed is a heart break at the very center of your being.  One session I finally told.  He was floored that I had carefully preserved my dreams since high school.  Some day I will actually achieve them.  Some I have already done.  KavinCoach asked me what the greatest barrier to achieving my dreams?  My answer - Myself.

3 comments:

mulderfan said...

I have the Japanese word for "dream" tattooed on my forearm because I always believed if you don't have a dream, you don't have anything.

When I was a kid, I shared my dreams with my "friend" in the mirror. Her name was R-B and I called my brother's reflection R-Bubba. That's when they 1st started telling me I was crazy. When I got older, and out-grew my friend, they'd throw it it my face whenever they wanted to put me down.

Weird! Your post just brought that memory back!

Ruth said...

Makes sense why they would take a normal stage in a child and use it to humiliate later out of context. I think a friend in the mirror could be very helpful to a child. You were dealing with weirdness on a daily basis. RB probably understood better than most. Thanks for sharing, mulderfan

Shen said...

This felt profound to me today. I am reading about menopause and how women are only beginning to come into their own at this stage of life (which I am likely entering soon). It feels hopeful to think of it that way - not as an ending, but as the doorway to fulfilling what I've always dreamt.