Sunday, August 28, 2011

Courage

Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.
John Wayne

I grew up watching John Wayne movies on Saturday morning after cartoons.  TV has changed considerably and so has my taste in viewing.  However, I like this quote because I think it exemplifies a meaning of courage close to my heart.  Another way of saying it is, "Feel the fear and do it any way."  (Actually, a title of a book I read.)  This comes following faith because many times I heard that if I had enough faith, I wouldn't feel fear.  I had enough faith to move into the darkness but the fear wasn't eliminated.  I learned that sometimes a certain element of fear is helpful.  When I dissociated from all emotions, I did not feel fear when I should have.  I did things that would be considered reckless or dangerous because my lack of fear.  My sister hated driving with me when I was like this.  She informed me that if I was feeling this way that I was not allowed to drive.  Looking back I realized I was as dangerous as a drunk driver with no concept of safe practices.  One of my favorite scripture stories is Gideon who is afraid to go into battle so asks the Lord to put dew on the fleece.  He had faith but he also felt fear.  He followed what the Lord asked him to do but it is a story that has evidence of both fear and faith intermingled.  (Judges 6-8)  I learned from my own experience that lack of fear is rare for me.  Faith in my own future, I have moved forward through many challenges with one thought that on the other side of darkness was a better way of living.  Fear dogged my footsteps but I kept moving toward the freedom I enjoy as an integrated person.  I feel depression and fear less often.  My faith strengthens.  I am comfortable with the idea that fear and faith may coexist.  I win when I decide what I am choosing to do instead of allowing the fear to control my choices. 



2 comments:

mulderfan said...

Fear+Courage=Triumph

Love P/M

Laurel Hawkes said...

I love the book THE GIFT OF FEAR by Gavin de Becker. Without fear to challenge it, how does faith grow?