Saturday, August 6, 2011

Creativity continued

My last post was placed on a whim from one of the the photography pages I enjoy reading.  I heard some of these perspectives while working and studying photography.  I was fascinated how narrow minded some of the professors were on their definitions of creative art.  Some were so narrow minded that the only way to get a good grade was to play the game of "Can you guess what I am thinking and produce it?"  If you went off in your own creative direction you could get slapped down hard.  However, there were other professors that pushed me to the very edges of my mind and seemed to encourage me to leap into nothingness that suddenly turned into something when you stepped there.  The second type of professor encouraged me to write my book at the bottom of my blog.  My imagination was hard pressed to match what I had lived through.  My creativity as a child helped make the first split possible.  My curiosity has played around creativity for many years.  When I was in 7th grade, the art teacher then advised me to never take another art class since I was so terrible at all forms of art.  Well, she was right.  I didn't do art her way.  I stayed away for many years.  When I joined the Art department as a computer tech I thought it was a great match.  They didn't want to learn about computers and I didn't want to learn about art.  I told them I had zero art experience.  Problem solving was what they hired me for anyway.  As time progress, it became obvious I needed to learn something about photography so I could solve the problems they were having in the computer labs.  Attending my first art class since seventh grade I was paid to attend photography 101.  Ten years later I earned a Bachelor in Fine Art ~ Photography.  Creativity became a curious thing that was debated endlessly in classes.  What was it?  Who had it?  Does it make a difference?  Who defines it?  I watched some debates get to the point of raised voices and emotionally charged words.   The list by Darren brought out some of the points debated.  From the comments on the post, the debates go on.  I can see how each person could come to the conclusions that they have.  I attended a meeting of the Gorilla Girls that are fighting discrimination against women in the art world.  Museum curators believe men are more creative than women.  Strange to see such prejudices exist in the Art world.  I proposed the possibility that children are loaded with creativity and it is systematically schooled out of them.  I remember hearing the story of the little boy that drew hundreds of flowers for his mother in every color.  But when he went to school the only flower the teacher accepted was a red tulip with green leaves.  Over time the only thing the boy would draw were red tulips with green leaves.  One of the theories I encountered about becoming a multiple is that it takes the creativity of child's mind to create two worlds in one body.  The splits were a creative way of solving a problem that would overwhelm most adults.  My first split at age 5 helped me survive.  Then other splits followed as the effectiveness of the first split was proven useful.  I would be curious what my 7th grade teacher would have said now about my drawings, wood working, and photographs.  I believe creativity is one of the gifts we are all born with and culture, experience, and ourselves determine what we do with it.  The list to me were different aspects of a very large entity that permeates all things.  I would go so far as calling creativity the spark of eternity; it defies description.

5 comments:

mulderfan said...

My older brother's high school physics teacher told him he would never amount to anything.

My brother went on to earn a PhD in Nuclear Physics, work on the team the solved the O-ring problem for NAASA and be nominated for the Nobel Prize in physics! He was campaigning for a seat in parliament when he was killed. (If that teacher ever knew he probably bragged about being my brother's teacher!)

I sometimes worry that I may have made some stupid comment to a child when I was teaching. If I did, I sure hope they overcame it like you and my brother did!

Ruth said...

((mulderfan)) I suspect you as a teacher are more like the professor that inspired me to write my book. Your encouragement has made a huge difference for me. Thanks. :)

Laurel Hawkes said...

Gorgeous picture. The example of the little boy is telling. I think we're all born creative, to one extent or another. Then life happens. Creativity is squashed or encouraged. The question becomes which do we choose to do? I had two different influences in my life. Parents told me I couldn't make money writing (so far they're right), but I had a writing teacher who wanted me to pursue my writing. I finally decided if not now, when?

Anonymous said...

men are more creative than women. hah! that's a new one! oh please. there's no such thing as someone being 'more creative' than another. creativity is immutable!
this reminds me of that quote, you remember? one by picasso. something like..'all children are artists. the trick is to remain that way." the man was onto something, dont you think?

Ruth said...

Laurel, that is so true. It does come down to what we choose.

Lisa, I was surprised myself when I first heard it. I love the Picasso quote.