Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Art

Jane Evershed  http://www.evershed.com/gallery_main.html


Writing about art these past few days I thought it would be fitting to pull this link out of my post-in-waiting file.  Quite a while ago, a fellow blogger and I were discussing our mutual admiration of art that expresses feeling.  I was introduced to Jane Evershed.  I am drawn to her vibrant use of color and her ability to convey deep emotion.  There are many artists that I admire.  I could probably create an entire blog exploring artist and their effect on me.  One of the effects unfortunately is intimidation.  I see their wonderful works of art and then look at my own less than fabulous efforts and I get easily discouraged.  I am also reminded why myself and many others are afraid of art.  Art from caves to museum walls are critiqued and criticized.  Standards are set, comparisons made, and expectations rise with each proffered piece.  Studying for my Art degree, I spent many, many hours viewing art of all kinds shapes and varieties.  Sometimes I liked it, sometimes not.  Some of Jane Evershed's art I admire tremendously, others not so much.  My DH asked me what benefit I gained from all the years studying artists.  I smiled and replied, "Before I got my degree, I would walk into a museum and say, 'I don't like it' now I can tell you why I don't like it."  I was also introduced to art that took my breath away.  I stood in awe and wonder in the Sistine Chapel shortly after they had cleaned the paintings on the wall.  I stared at the glowing colors astonished that they looked like they were painted just the day before instead of hundreds of years ago.  The common thread through out the pictures, sculptures, glass and photographs is one person's desire to share their emotional reaction to the world.  Much of my art will never go beyond the walls of my home, plus I have a select collection that I call my private collection.  These pieces I created from the depths of my soul where I had no words to express what I felt and saw in the dark hidden places of my heart.  Giving them a space to exist outside of myself released me from needing to carry them in my heart any more.  Art allowed me to place my secret burden on a paper then tuck it away in a closet.  I may not have the ability to blend colors like Jane Evershed but I can pour out my heart in photography, drawings and perhaps I will try painting again.  For me, the healing is in the process.


No comments: