Tuesday, November 19, 2013

It's a feeling

Greg Olsen is one of my favorite artists. His pictures bring peace to my heart. I buy his calendars then save the pictures, several prints are on my walls.  Tonight on Facebook he posted a lovely picture of a house With this saying: Home isn't a place, it's a feeling.
("Be It Ever So Humble" by Greg Olsen)  http://www.gregolsen.com/

I read it and realized that this explained why when I go to my parents house, I don't feel like I am going home.  They have lived in the same house since my younger sister was born.  I go to visit their house.  When we moved back to the area after living on the other side of the country for 15 years, I would automatically drive to their house.  My kids thought it was very funny.  I also felt I was kind of odd that even though I drove to their house on autopilot, I never felt like I was going home.  It always was my parents' house.  Growing up my dad always said it was my mother's house....but I watch him and for him it is his space as well as hers.  I remember our family going on a trip when I was growing up.  I was in junior high.  My younger brother was almost 3 years old.  Within the week, he said he wanted to 'go home.'  He meant where ever we were sleeping for the night.  About 6 weeks into the trip he started saying he wanted to go to the 'blue house.'  The color of my parents house.  I didn't mind travelling for 3 months.  I didn't miss the house.  I missed my friends.  I missed our dog.  But I didn't consider my parents house 'home.'  I always thought I was weird that way.  One of the things that I felt drew me to photography was the feeling of being 'home' in the dark room.  I feel at 'home' behind my camera.  I feel like I belong when out shooting pictures.  I like the feeling.






1 comment:

TR said...

I love that quote, I feel the same way too. My parents house isn't home. xxoo